Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Eatin' of the greens~! (or Happy St. Patrick's Day)

I know, I know, you are probably expecting some green mashed potatoes, or green cheesecake, but I haven't really felt like baking much sweets lately. And, I have been craving vegetables lately...well, and cardamom, but that's another story entirely.

But, it is St. Patrick's Day, and I would be remiss without posting at least one thing green. So, instead of wearing o'the green, we will have an eating o'the greens!

I just love sauteed spinach with ginger. The ginger just adds something that I like when paired with the garlic and lemon. A wonderful, and fairly healthy side dish!

Sauteed Spinach with lemon

1 lb fresh spinach, washed
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. fresh ginger, minced
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. olive oil
1/2 lemon

Heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add minced ginger and saute one minute. Add garlic immediately followed by spinach, salt, and pepper (in that order). Let the spinach heat 1-2 minutes, until it starts giving off moisture.

Stir until all spinach is sufficiently wilted. I've found this is kind of a personal thing. I like my spinach a little less wilted than the rest of my family, so I take my portion out first.

Serve with fresh squeezed lemon juice. Or, if you prefer, serve with vinegar.

4 comments:

  1. Blech! You can eat as much of these as you want, cause I sure won't! Then again, I hate spinach, so it has nothing to do with your recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I had to have something green, and since I'm banning lettuce at the moment, my options are limited. This is the time of year I just go nuts for vegetables...I'm tired of winter veggies, and really searching for new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green beans are where it's at! And asparagus! Lettuce hasn't been treating me very nicely lately either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about green beans and asparagus. I just finished a bunch of asparagus a few weeks ago, and they were so good! I haven't eaten green beans for a long time, got kind of burned out on them when I was on the 3 day diet. Maybe it's time to put them back into my diet - I really want to try some chinese long bean recipes, so I wonder if they taste similar at all.

    ReplyDelete