Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fettuccine Alfredo

I realize now that if you look back on my previous posts, you will start to think that I'm Italian. I wish I were, but sadly, I'm just an American Mutt. That just happens to love Italian food. I used to think it was the garlic, but now I realize it's the pasta.

Which brings me to my post - Fettuccine Alfredo. It's rich, it's creamy, it's the ultimate comfort food. And, it's fairly easy to make. I actually taught a friend of mine to make Alfredo sauce by chatting with him on MSN...and he's a very novice cook! So, if he can do it, so can you!



Fettuccine Alfredo

Difficulty: Easy

4 T. butter
1/4 c. flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 to 1 t. salt (to taste)
1/3 c. parmesan cheese
1/2 t. white pepper (optional - you can use black pepper too, but I don't like the spots in my sauce)
1 lb. fettuccine

In a large pan, heat water for your fettuccine on high heat. Add a few tablespoons salt to the water.

In a smaller sauce pan, melt the butter on medium heat. Add flour, and stir until combined. Cook for about a minute, until it bubbles like in the picture. This is to cook the floury taste out of your sauce.


Slowly add in milk and cream, whisking constantly. This is the stage where your sauce can get lumpy. If it does, keep on whisking. Add nutmeg and pepper. Continue heating over medium heat until your sauce gets thick and starts to bubble. Add your cheese, while whisking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

In the time it takes me to make my sauce, my fettuccine is usually finished. If yours isn't, keep your sauce on a low heat while your pasta finishes cooking. Drain pasta, reserving about 1/2 cup pasta water. Put pasta back into your large pasta kettle.

Add sauce to your pasta, gently stirring pasta. If your sauce is too thick, add a few tablespoons of pasta water until the sauce is the desired consistency. For this, I normally use a pair of tongs - they are my go-to utensil of the kitchen.

Serve immediately, with extra parmesan.

I love this pasta...and I'm glad that my nephew Ryan and his girlfriend Taylor do too, since they are the ones that ate most of it! I served mine with a few roast chicken slices on top, and some diced tomatoes. I like diced tomatoes with the alfredo sauce - it gives a bit of acid and contrast to the sauce.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to cook this this weekend I am not a good noodle cooker at all but I am going to give it a wirl.It sounds so great an easy I can not wait to make it.
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete