Saturday, March 13, 2010

How to chop an onion

I hope to go over some basic skills in my blog. This is my first attempt. Chopping an onion, I must admit, is something I take for granted. It's just something I have been doing for so long, I could probably do it in my sleep. I may not be such a total clutz in my sleep as I am when I'm awake, either.

Be sure to watch your fingers! A few things I have learned along the way are to be sure to curl your fingers under while you chop. It saves a lot of fingernails, to say the least. When you are working with vegetables, one of the most important things you can do is to create a flat surface on the vegetable. You then lay that surface on your cutting board, so what you are cutting is stable, and doesn't move (much).

Once you have a system, chopping an onion is fairly easy. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the first two pictures, so you will just have to use your imagination. The first thing you do is cut off the top and bottom of the onion - just a little bit, to remove the roots and tips. Then, chop the onion in 1/2. Cutting 1/2 at a time is much easier. Remove the onion skin, and you are ready to go.



Place the onion on the cutting board like I have shown. Your goal here is to cut deep cuts into the onion without cutting through the end. Cut every 1/4" until you reach the top. If you accidentally cut through, that's ok, too. You can just go to the next step with 3 pieces of onion instead of 2 halves.


Ok, now on to the next step. Now, turn the onion so the largest cut side is on the cutting board. You want to do the same exact thing to this side you did to the other - make 1/4 to 1/2" cuts along the entire onion.


*Phew* Hardest part is over. The rest is pretty easy. Simply turn the onion and start chopping like I have shown. When you get to the end, just chop the rest up. I usually just chop the ends into smaller pieces.

There you have it! A great way to slice an onion - now go practice. It's almost time for chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment