Monday, March 22, 2010

Mango Cheesecake!

Ahh mangoes. Whenever I think about the new eating locally trends, I think of mangoes. Well, and pineapples. Because those are the two things I would miss the most.

I never really thought of trying to make a mango cheesecake until Caleb was telling me he bought one in Singapore, and for some reason, it sounded really good. I normally shy away from baked or cooked fruit, because I don't really like it. But I thought I would try this, because it did sound really good.

After looking at recipes, it seemed like most mango cheesecakes simply add some diced mango or mango puree to a regular cheesecake batter. Since I have a pretty standard recipe I use, I decided to do the same. I chose to use mango puree and top with fresh mangoes before serving, just because I thought pureed mangoes would give a nice overall flavor.

I decided on a vanilla wafer crust because I prefer the taste over graham crackers for more delicately flavored cheesecakes, and thought this may be one. That choice was perfect!

This recipe makes one large 8" cheesecake. If you have the individual pans, you can make a small one as well, which is what I did for pictures. The family loved this recipe, and adding fresh mangoes on top before serving was a great way to add another mango flavor.


Mango Cheesecake

Crust
2 cups vanilla wafer cookie crumbs
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup sugar

Filling
3 8 oz packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 t. vanilla
2 cups pureed mango, about 3 mangoes depending on size

Preheat oven to 350. In medium size bowl, combine all the crust ingredients, and pat into an 8" springform pan. The best way to not get the crust too thick where the edges meet the bottom is to use the back of a dry measuring cup to press the crumbs into the pan. Press the crumbs up the edges of the pan about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Bake for 10 minutes while preparing the filling.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with a mixer about 2-3 minutes until just a little bit lighter. Add the sugar, and mix about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla and the pureed mango. Make sure mixture is well incorporated. Pour on top of prepared crust, and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until only a little of the middle jiggles when you shake the pan. I know this isn't very scientific cooking instructions, but that's what works for me.

Cool for a few hours at room temperature, followed by at least 4 hours in the refrigerator. Serve with any remaining mango puree and sliced mangoes. Ok, so you don't have to leave it so long in the refrigerator, I ate mine after about 1 hour, and it was great, but it is better if you let it rest in the refrigerator a little while, and then just take the chill off before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment