Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chicken and soy rice


I seem to go through crazy phases about what I eat. This winter, I was all about pasta. My mom thought that was quite funny. After all, I didn't cook rice for almost 3 weeks, which is almost unheard of.

If you think I eat a lot of chicken, I also eat a lot of rice. So, this recipe combines two of my favorite ingredients. It's a new recipe, and came out of a conversation I had with Caleb about Chicken and Rice. The way he was talking about it, it sounded a lot like risotto, but it's not really. And, I veered from his mom's recipe a bit by adding soy, and using scallions instead of regular onions.

This is a pretty quick and simple dish - took me about 30minutes to cook from start to finish. Of course, I did have some roast chicken in the fridge, so all I had to do was prepare the rice. It's a great dish to add to a nice salad, or some roast root vegetables.

Chicken and soy rice

1 cup rice (I used calrose)
2 T. oil
3 scallions, chopped into 1/2" pieces
2" ginger, cut into small cubes
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth (this is about 1.5 cans)
2 T. soy sauce
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded

In a large skillet, heat oil on medium high heat. Fry scallions in hot oil until crispy. Drain on paper towel and set aside. Saute ginger until lightly browned, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute until garlic is lightly toasted. Remove from pan, and set aside.

Add uncooked rice to the saute pan, and saute for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Add chicken broth and soy sauce, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer rice for about 20 minutes, until cooked through, and little liquid remains. Add the reserved garlic, ginger, and scallions into the rice.

Serve with chicken on top. Serves 4 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment