Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

The weather here has made me....annoyed, to say the least. After an absolutely beautiful March, it has rained every day for more than the last few weeks.

My mind automatically turns back to comfort food. I thought my Chicken and Dumplings would be the last of comfort food for a while. But the weather, ugh! It doesn't feel like spring anymore!

I really enjoy making my own pot pie. I love putting together different flavors, as well as exploring familiar, traditional ones. Of course, I do cheat by using puff pastry instead of making a traditional pie dough. I usually save scraps of pie dough for my various pot pies, but I was out of scraps. Maybe this will be incentive to make a pie. I know I have to do that soon as well. I still have little wild blackberries in my freezer!

I normally don't precook my vegetables. You just need to make sure they are cut about the same size. Of course, you can substitute frozen for fresh, but I like to have at least some fresh vegetables around the house, and I enjoy chopping veggies - it's soothing to me.

Chicken Pot Pie

1 cup cooked chicken, diced or shredded into bite size pieces
1 cup diced potato (about 1 large)
1 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup peas (I use frozen)
1/2 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
1/2 cup pearl onions (again, I used frozen)
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 16 oz can low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
2 t. chicken base paste (I love better than boullion), or 1 cube boullion
1 sheet puff pastry, cut into cute little shapes (I usually use a water glass to cut rounds)

Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, mix together the chicken, potato, carrot, peas, celery, and onions. Set aside.

Heat oil in a saucepan. Add flour, and cook for about 2 minutes, until very light brown. Slowly add the chicken broth, whisking to not get any lumps. Add milk, salt, pepper, garlic, and chicken base. Heat until just under boiling again. Mixture will be very thick, but that's ok, the vegetables will release enough moisture to soften it in the oven.

Stir sauce mixture into the vegetable and chicken mixture. You can taste it at this point, but the seasoning should be a little strong, and will mellow in the oven.

Place the mixture into a deep dish pie pan. Smooth out, and arrange your puff pastry on the top of your pie. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment