Friday, April 23, 2010

"German" Chocolate Cake (Matt's Birthday)


Cake three in my April/May birthday series! I can almost always rely on Matt. His tastes evolve a bit, but it takes a while to change. He's allowed me to perfect my German Chocolate Cake over the last few years. Actually, last year, his fiance Fawn didn't want any cake because she "didn't like German Chocolate frosting". I sent most of the left-overs home with him (I think there was a piece and a half left), and he texted me later, saying "Fawn ate my cake". So I was able to convince someone this cake is delicious.

Last year, I followed the recipe on the German's box for the cake, and modified the recipe on the box for the frosting. This year, to be honest, I didn't want to spend the extra cash on the chocolate if I didn't have to, since I have really nice cocoas at home. So, after some reading, I modified a Hershey recipe for German's Chocolate Cake from their site. Since I was happy with my frosting recipe, I created the same recipe this year.

Technically, since there is no German's chocolate in this cake, it's not a German Chocolate Cake. However, since "I" decided what makes a German Chocolate cake is mostly about the luscious coconut pecan frosting, I'm going to call it that anyway.

This cake really is not for the chocolate lover. It has a very mild chocolate flavor, complimented by the buttery caramel pecan and coconut frosting. I will include the recipe for the Coconut Pecan Frosting, and the modified Chocolate Cake. However, I wasn't 100% happy with the Chocolate Frosting, so stay tuned for that recipe until it's perfected (I'm close!).

German Chocolate Cake
(Cake modified from Hershey, frosting modified from German's Chocolate Cake box)

For the cake:

1/3 c. (90mL) unsweetened cocoa powder (I use dutch processed)
1/4 c. (60mL) hot coffee
1/4 c. (60mL) hot water
1 1/2 c. (345 g.) butter
2 1/4 cup (250 g.) sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
4 eggs
2 cups (240g) all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. kosher salt
1 cup (240mL) buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 (180). Grease and flour 2 9" round cake pans. Alternately, you can use spray and parchment paper (my preferred method).

In a small bowl, combine coffee, water, and cocoa, stir until smooth. In another bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Add buttermilk, flour, soda, and salt, mixing well after each. Pour evenly into prepared pans, and smooth out. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until middle is just done. Cool completely.

Coconut Pecan Frosting

3/4 cup cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 c. butter
1 t. vanilla
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1 cup coconut

In a saucepan, combine cream, sugar, brown sugar, egg yolks, and butter. Cook on low heat, stirring constantly until very thick. Remove from heat, add coconut, vanilla, and pecans. Cool slightly, and frost and fill cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment