Sunday, April 18, 2010

Orange Vanilla Cupcakes (Tim's Birthday)

Did I mention that April is one of our "birthday months"? 5 birthdays I bake for in April/May give me lots of opportunity for experimentation.

Tomorrow, I'm taking these cupcakes to Tim. I've already eaten 2, and my brother managed to eat 3 in about 5 minutes. They are quite addictive. Tomorrow, I don't think I will eat one - I'm more interested in Dim Sum in Seattle...

I've been toying with a grapefruit cupcake recipe for quite a while now. While I was generally happy with the results, there was just something missing. Maybe it's that raw grapefruit zing on my tongue, I don't know. I decided to alter that recipe for Orange cupcakes.

These are delicious. While my original aim of having them taste like Dreamsicles didn't necessarily come true, they are still the same flavors. The cupcake is light and moist, and the flour paste frosting compliments that taste perfectly without over powering the orange flavor. If I had any, I would have added a tablespoon of Grand Mariner to the batter, but the liquor store was closed. It is Sunday, after all!

Orange cupcakes

1/2 cup (4 oz) butter, softened
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup (300 g.) sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. kosher salt
Zest of one Orange
1 cup (8 oz) orange juice (I use not from concentrate because I like that better)
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups (290 grams) all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 (180C).

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, followed by orange zest, salt, and baking powder. Add 1/2 the orange juice, then the flour, followed by the remaining orange juice. Make sure batter is well mixed and doesn't have any lumps.

Divide among 15-20 cupcakes. Bake 12-17 minutes, until just done. They are best when they don't brown. Cool on cooling rack while you prepare frosting

Flour Paste Frosting

5 T. flour
1 cup (8 oz) milk
1 cup (8 oz) butter
1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla

In a small sauce pan, heat flour and milk until it forms a thick paste. Cool in the refrigerator.

Whip butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add COOLED flour paste and vanilla, and mix until you can no longer feel the granulated sugar between your fingers when you test it.

NOTE: If you are new to this frosting, it is easier if you blend the sugar in a blender for about 30 seconds. It helps with the texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment