Thursday, April 1, 2010

Roast Chicken, part 1


Ahhh, the chicken. I have told many people that if chicken were a vegetable, I would happily be a vegetarian. But, unfortunately, it's not. I still love it though - in any shape and form.

I consider a perfectly roasted chicken one of the ultimate dinners. A piece of roast chicken, a salad or whatever fresh vegetables are in season, and some roasted potatoes, and that is a great meal.

So, this is my beginner version of roast chicken. If you have never roasted a chicken, never fear - we'll start off easy, then work our way into a few other fancy ideas.

Let's start off with the basics - a very simple recipe with a few tips and tricks, to make a great roast chicken.

And, as a side note, I know this picture is, well, not the best. My kitchen is tiny and dark, but I am trying. I didn't realize how difficult it was to take pictures - especially of steaming hot food. And, anyone that knows me, knows that I can't let it go to waste...

Simply Roasted Chicken

1 whole roasting chicken, 3-5 lbs is best
2 t. salt
2 t. pepper
2 T. olive oil
1 t. garlic powder

Preheat oven to 375.

Take chicken out of the package and wash thoroughly. Be sure to wash inside the cavity as well as the entire outside. Now, get some paper towels and dry the chicken thoroughly. The best way I've found to do this is to put the chicken, breast side up, in your roasting pan (I use a 9x13 square pan), then pat the skin dry, and dry the inside.

Mix the salt, pepper, and garlic powder together in a small bowl. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the mixture on the inside of the chicken. Rub the olive oil over the dried skin, and sprinkle the remaining seasoning mixture over the skin. Pour about 1 cup of water into the bottom of your baking pan.

Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced. I usually cook to temperature, until the breast is about 160, and the thigh is 170. Let rest 5-10 minutes before carving.

No comments:

Post a Comment