Friday, May 7, 2010

The best Banana Bread


I make a lot of banana bread. Mainly because I buy a bunch of bananas thinking - Oh, I'll eat them - yet always have 2 or 3 left over. Next time, I'm back to experimenting with my Banana Turnovers.

One of the keys to good banana bread is very ripe bananas - so ripe you wouldn't want to eat them - mostly black on the outside. Since I have a tendency to undercook it as well, the other key is to cook the banana bread for enough time. For some reason, I almost always make a few banana muffins that I over cook, then undercook the banana bread. This time, I didn't. I hope I'm over that bad habit.

I like to add a little spice to my banana bread - it gives it a little something extra. My favorite is the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg, but if you want something really different, add Chinese Five Spice instead - that is a nice change of pace.

Banana Bread

1 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 ripe bananas, mashed
4 eggs
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 cups flour
3/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 cup chopped and roasted walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, sift together baking soda, salt, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. In another bowl, whip butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, until well beaten. Add bananas. Add dry ingredients, mixing as little as possible, but making sure your batter is well mixed.

Grease and flour 2 loaf pans. Divide batter equally between pans, and bake 45-55 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Let rest 10 minutes, then take out of pan and rest until cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment