Sunday, May 30, 2010

Birthday burger cupcakes

This isn't a recipe as much as it is an assembly guide. Yes, I did make everything home made, but I realized that posting 4 recipes in one may be just a bit too bookish.

Here was the idea. I wanted to create something different for my niece's birthday. I had seen these burger shaped cupcakes around a lot last year, and thought this may be the perfect time for me to give them a try. The original idea was to bring them to the race track for Amanda's first race, but the weather here had other plans.

Fawn was gracious enough to allow me to bring these to Amanda's birthday dinner, even though I didn't explain well exactly what I was doing, and she had no idea what the final product would look like. She has much more faith in me than I do -I was terrified I would embarrass my niece in front of her friends. Luckily, that didn't happen.

I made the cupcakes in mini-cupcake pans. So even though they looked like burgers, they were actually smaller than sliders - about 2-3 bites each, which turned out to be the perfect size. I thought that would be a much better portion size than a regular size cupcake, and lower waste.

I thought including a little cup of red icing to imitate the ketchup you get at the local burger restaurant would be a cute addition. The cups were a little big, but they were all I could really find. Well, that's not necessarily true. They were the only ones I could buy in quantities less than 1000. The cardboard carrier I was able to find at the local Costco. Even though I have a ton leftover, since I frequently drive sweets to my brothers houses, now they will be in those containers instead of having to do dish swap (lol).

These were a big hit with everyone in attendance. The 14 year olds loved them because they were cute and different. The adults loved them because they tasted good, and the little kids loved to dip the fries in the ketchup and lick the ketchup off their fries...

I thought the little toothpick was a cute touch. That turned out to be the simplest component. Since I have Powerpoint on my desktop, I simply created one slide, copied it 9 times, and then printed out "notes", which are a sheet of 9 slides. After cutting them out, I dipped one end of a toothpick in glue, and glued the toothpick to the cut out. If you don't have Powerpoint, you can replicate this in any word processing or graphic program you have.

For right now, I'm going to include the components. I will later include recipes for each component. I must warn you though. Even though I made each component from scratch, this project took me over 6 hours (and 2 days) to make. If that is too long for you, you can easily start from boxes and packages.


Components:

One batch butter cake (or yellow cake mix)
One batch chocolate brownies
One batch sugar cookies
One batch cream cheese frosting
Coconut
Sesame seeds
turbinado sugar
Green, yellow, and red food coloring (I use gel)
20 cardboard fast food containers
20 1-2 oz plastic containers (with lids)
20 signs, made from toothpicks

Baking: Bake the butter cake in mini-muffin cups. I baked mine until golden for a more authentic look. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top of your cupcakes, and they will bake in. When fully cooled, cut in 1/2 with a sharp serrated knife.

Bake brownies in a pan 1 size larger than the recipe calls for (to make the brownies very thin).

Roll out the sugar cookies to 1/4" thick, and cut thin with a pizza cutter. Sprinkle turbinado sugar on the cookies to simulate salt. Bake until golden.

Mix 1/3 c. coconut with 3-4 drops green food coloring to tint green and simulate shredded lettuce. Divide the frosting and tint 1/3 of it yellow, and 2/3 of it red. Place some of the red in your plastic containers and seal with lids. With the remaining frosting, fill ziploc bags or cake decorating bags.

After brownies have cooled, cut with a round cookie cutter. Your cookie cutter should be just a teeny bit smaller than the bottom of the mini cupcake pan.

Assembling the cupcakes: On the bottom of the cupcake, pipe some yellow frosting around the edge of the cupcake. Place a brownie slice carefully over the piped frosting. Pipe some red frosting around the edge of the brownie slice, and sprinkle with some of the green coconut. Place the top on carefully, and put a toothpick down the center for your flag.

To serve, place one of your cupcakes in the paper containers, followed by 3-5 sugar cookies and your container of frosting.

1 comment: