Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Are we tired of cakes yet? I don't know about you, but I'm getting there! Only 2 more, and we take a break and go back to breads and chicken, I promise!

Pineapple upside down cake is something that I enjoy making, enjoy when I have it, but don't really crave. It's nice to have a recipe for those moments where you want something a bit different.

You know what I loved about this experience? I really wanted to make individual cakes - I thought they would be cuter than a large cake. I was worried I would have to perform surgery on my pineapple rings to make them fit into my extra large muffin tins. I imagined myself carefully slicing pieces out of the pineapple, and trying to reshape it into a reasonable circle. Much to my pleasant surprise, though - they fit absolutely perfectly in the bottom of the pan I had planning on using. I just love it when things like that work out.

These were so good! They were a great little after dinner treat for my family. The lightness of the cake was a perfect compliment to the carmelized sugar and pineapple. These are best served at room temperature, with a little fresh whipped cream or a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream.

This recipe started off from the Betty Crocker cookbook. I modified it a bit for my personal tastes. When I don't make this for family, I add some rum to the cake batter for an added touch.

Pineapple upside down cake

For the bottom of the cake:

1/4 c. butter
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 14 oz can pineapple rings, drained
9 marachino cherries, optional

For the cake:

1/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter
1 1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 c. milk
1 1/3 c. all purpose flour
1 t. vanilla
1 egg
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare the bottom of the cake: In a small saucepan, combine the butter and brown sugar and heat until well combined and sugar is melted, about 3 minutes. Butter a large cupcake pan. Evenly distribute the sugar mixture to 9 large cupcake pans. Carefully place the pineapple ring on top of the sugar mixture, pressing gently to the bottom of the pan. Place cherry in the center.

For the cake: Cream butter, brown sugar, and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, baking powder, salt, and egg. Add 1/2 of the milk, followed by the flour, then the remaining milk, mixing until a very smooth batter. Pour over the top of the prepared large cupcake tins, and bake for 20-25 minutes until the cake is done.

Let rest 5-10 minutes only, and invert over a large plate. If you don't want to make individual cakes, this recipe will fit in a 9" round pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment