Sunday, May 23, 2010

Soy glazed salmon with asparagus risotto


It's Copper River Salmon time! For those of you that don't live in the Pacific Northwest area, this is some of the best salmon you will ever eat - it's super moist, and one of the richest, tastiest salmon you will ever have. I find the flavor to be much milder, yet the fish feels very rich in your mouth. If you haven't had the opportunity to try this, I definitely recommend it at least once in your life.

Around here, I get it about once every other year - we are on a budget, after all. So, once I bought my $20 indulgence, now I must decide what to do with it. I didn't want to do too much to it, since the flavor is so nice. Since some asparagus jumped in my basket while I was shopping for my salmon, I needed to incorporate that into my meal as well.

I decided to simply pan fry my fish, and serve with a soy-ginger glaze. It was wonderful. So was the asparagus risotto I made to accompany it.




Pan Fried Salmon with soy-ginger glaze

For the fish:

4-6 oz fish per serving, sprinkled lightly with salt and pepper
1 t. oil

Heat oil in medium saute pan until hot and shimmering. Place the fish skin side down in the pan, and cook on each side 3-5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove from pan and let rest while you make the soy glaze.

Soy Glaze

1/4 c. soy sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1/2" ginger, finely cubed

Place the ginger in the pan you cooked the fish in. Lightly toast for 30sec, then add soy and brown sugar. Return to heat and heat until bubbly. Pour into a dish and serve with fish.

Asparagus Risotto

1/2 lb asparagus, cut into 2" pieces and blanched (I blanch in the chicken broth I use for the risotto, just to save time and space)
3 cups low sodium chicken broth, brought to just under a boil
1 cup arborio rice
2 T. finely minced shallots
1/3 c. shredded parmesan cheese
1 T. oil
1 T. butter
1/4 t. white pepper
1/4 t. salt

Heat butter and oil in a skillet on medium to medium high heat until it quits bubbling. Add shallots, and cook 1 minute. Add rice and cook until it starts to become translucent, about 4 minutes. While stirring, add 1/2 cup chicken broth to the rice. Stir until absorbed. Continue adding 1/2 cup chicken broth to the rice and stirring until absorbed until rice is cooked through. Remove from heat and add cheese, pepper, salt, and asparagus. Season to taste.

1 comment:

  1. I made Copper River Salmon tonight, too. The butcher did a terrible job, so my piece was very thin (the gills) on one end, and very thick on the other. I thought about poaching it, but then I just sauteed it in olive oil and garlic, turned it way down low, and poured cream over the top. I let that simmer over a really low flame just until done. I may never do salmon any other way again!

    ReplyDelete