Thursday, June 24, 2010

Chicken Salad


In an effort to try to encourage the summer sun to peak through all these clouds, I decided to eat some salads. Yes, I am still going through my I hate lettuce phase, but that doesn't include romaine and butter lettuces.

Fawn requested that I make a chicken salad recipe, and it sounded really good. Now, she wanted to make it together and I was going to call her...but...well, I made this at 10pm one night, and thought she would think I was totally nuts if I called her at 10 pm and said - come over, I'm making chicken salad...

This is the first of a few chicken salads I eat. It's the easiest by far, but it did hit the spot. It has a lot of fruit and vegetables, and is good on a sandwich or on top a nice salad. I wrapped mine in romaine lettuce leaves, and topped that with some cucumber and tomatoes.

I use granulated garlic in this recipe because fresh garlic is a bit too harsh. But, the salad needed a bit of something, and granulated garlic was perfect. If you have roasted garlic, that is really nice in this salad as well, but I don't recommend you use fresh garlic. I like my chicken salad a bit less creamy than most people. If you like yours creamier, you can always add more mayonaise. If you don't like mayonaise, you can substitute plain yogurt and omit the lemon juice.

Chicken Salad

2 chicken breasts, skin removed, and cut into cubes
1 stalk celery, chopped finely
1 granny smith apple, chopped
1/2 c. toasted walnuts, chopped
1/4 c. dried cranberries
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. granulated garlic
1 scallion, chopped
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. salt
1/3 c. mayonnaise

In a bowl, combine lemon juice, pepper, salt, mayonnaise and garlic. Mix to combine. Add remaining ingredients and gently combine until well mixed. Serve over lettuce or on a salad.

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for a delicious summer salad recipe, this looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete