Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Twisted Risotto

Remember my risotto? Well, I had a bit leftover, and I really hate to waste leftovers. I will admit, sometimes I do waste food, but I don't like to, and it's one of my goals this year to use as much as possible and not waste.

Have you ever cooked something and deliberately cooked more for the leftovers? I do that too. Mainly with rice, although never before with risotto. I really love fried rice, so that is a staple in my house. But, I do this with chicken a lot. I love roast chicken, but I also like all the leftover chicken I can put in a ton of things.

But, for today, we are talking about the risotto cakes. I had intended to post them last week, but with the cupcakes and the daring bakers challenge, I held off on the post for a while. These risotto cakes were awesome, by the way. I will be making them again. They were a little bit sticky to put together, but I sprayed one of my hands with cooking spray and that helped a lot. I did end up slicing the asparagus smaller for the cakes, since my asparagus was a bit larger the first time.

This is a great side dish recipe! I would happily serve this to guests, even. Of course, I wouldn't tell them they were being served leftovers, but it's good enough that they would never know.

And, I promise my pictures will get better. I am doing some new things that will help. Baking is a bit easier for me to photograph, since I can set aside the good ones (as long as I don't forget), and photograph them later. As long as it's not an entire cake that I'm taking somewhere else, that is.

The food, well, that's a little more difficult. Since I am either cooking for one or two (and leftovers), or giving the food to my brothers, my schedule is kind of crazy. When I am cooking it for myself, I usually wait until I'm hungry unless I'm cooking something that takes multiple steps. I am trying to do some things (like cook an extra for pic, eat, then take the pic, etc.) and we will see the results. Anyway, onward to the recipe!

Risotto Cakes

2 cups left over risotto, cooled
1/3 c. parmesan cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 c. panko
1/4 c. peas or asparagus slices (optional)
1 T. oil

Heat pan over medium to medium high heat. In a bowl, combine leftover risotto, cheese, egg, and optional vegetables. Stir to combine, and divide into 5 equal portions. Pat each portion out into a cake in one hand, then dip in the bread crumbs, coating both sides.

Put oil in your pan, and place risotto cakes in the pan, cooking on each side until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment