Tuesday, July 20, 2010

2 different vinaigrettes and how to use one of them



Why, oh why, is vinaigrette so difficult for me to spell? Maybe for the same, yet unknown reason that salads have been difficult for me to eat?

I used to love salads - I would go to the farmers market on Thursdays, get fresh greens, fresh produce, go home and make a great salad. Maybe that's why - fresh produce is harder to find here than it was in So Cal. I don't know. I do know I have been in an I hate lettuce mode for well over a year now. So, yes, most of my salads have not had lettuce in them.

That doesn't mean I don't love vinaigrette. Homemade, it's the best. Now, I will admit, I like different tasting vinaigrettes - with nice asian flavors, or a bright lemony note. I have yet to find a bottled version that I like, and after researching around on salad dressings, I finally figured out why. It was something Ina Garten said - about proportions. The ones I like are all out of whack - not enough oil by far. But, I love it.

The first recipe I used over an orzo salad I took to my brothers house. It was one of only 4 days we have had over 80 degrees this year. The dressing was nice and light and complimented the tomatoes, basil, cucumber, and orzo perfectly. It was light and lemony and I loved it.

The next dressing was a bit different. Well, more than a bit different. I have been experimenting with some dressing that tasted unlike anything I had tasted to date. I think this one accomplished that. It has quite a bit of Asian flavorings, and sricha compliments that very well.

Lemony Vinaigrette

juice of 1 lemon (about 3 T.)
1 t. lemon zest
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 T. rice wine vinegar
2 clove roast garlic, mashed
1/2 t. smoked paprika
2 t. dijon mustard

In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients. Taste with lettuce or cucumber and adjust flavorings to your taste buds.

This is great served with a salad of 3 cups orzo cooked in chicken broth, 2 small tomatoes (cut in small pieces), 1/2 english cucumber (seeded, peeled, and cut in small pieces), and 5-7 basil leaves chopped finely.

Sricha Vinaigrette

a few drops sricha, to taste
1/4 c. rice wine vinegar
1/3 c. vegetable oil
2 T. soy sauce
3 cloves roast garlic, mashed
1/2 t. pepper
pinch brown sugar
1/2 t. smoked paprika

Whisk all ingredients together and adjust to your tastes. Serve over fresh vegetables.

1 comment:

  1. I love Vinaigrette, there is nothing better than a nice dressing on salad. (and I totally can't spell it either, I had to look at the way you did! ;))

    ReplyDelete