Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls

Or if you prefer with some icing:

Imagine waking up to the smell of fresh cinnamon - there's really not much better than that. While I like to make these and reheat them in the morning, you can easily proof them in the refrigerator and bake them in the morning. They are just as good...well, maybe better because, after all, they are the ultimate breakfast.

These were soooo good! Sometimes I feel like I have been making cinnamon rolls my entire life. It's one of the first things I made when I started playing with yeast when I was in junior high school, and I still make them for my mom on occasion today.

These are great - they are soft and sweet and cinnamony - Just the way I like them. While Mom eats them plain, for me, I love them with tons of Cream Cheese Frosting.

I've tried many things with this recipe, but the one that made the most difference was using brown sugar in the filling rather than white sugar. That, and finding some great cinnamon. I can't stress enough to, at the very least, use fresher cinnamon - not the stuff that you stole from your Mom's pantry that she got for her wedding - find the good stuff. If you want to stick to the Supermarket brands, Spice Islands is pretty good. I use Cassia Cinnamon I buy from Penzey's. I've never been disappointed by spices I buy from Penzey's - whether by catalog or store.

Cinnamon Rolls

1 T. yeast (1 package)
1 cup warm milk
1/2 c. butter
1 t. salt
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
4-5 c. flour

Filling

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 t. nutmeg
3 T. cinnamon
1/3 to 1/2 c. butter, softened

Frosting

1/2 lb. powdered sugar
4 oz. cream cheese
1/4 c. butter
pinch salt
1 t. vanilla
up to 1/4 c. cream

For the rolls

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, egg, butter, yeast, salt, and milk. Mix until all ingredients are well combined. Continue adding up to 1/2 c. flour at a time until dough is workable, but still a bit sticky. Knead until smooth and elastic either with a dough hook or on a floured board. Put dough in another bowl, and cover. Let rise until double in volume.

After rising, turn onto lightly floured board and gently deflate. Roll into a 20 inch by 16 inch rectangle. Spread softened butter along dough in a thin layer, sprinkle brown sugar over butter, and cinnamon over brown sugar. Roll filling lightly into dough. Starting with the 20" side, roll dough, and gently pinch dough shut. Cut with a sharp knife into 10 equal rolls.

Place parchment paper or generously butter a 13x9x2 baking pan. Place cinnamon rolls in the pan, not touching one another. Cover and let rise until double.

Preheat oven to 375. Bake cinnamon rolls in the middle of the oven for aproximately 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and cool until just warm. Frost with cream cheese frosting.

For frosting:

Combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and salt. Beat until combined. Add cream, 1 T. at a time and whip until desired consistency. When adding the cream, it's best to beat for one full minute with each tablespoon addition to let the sugar absorb the cream, and whip some air into the frosting.

1 comment:

  1. I love cinnamon rolls. I could have them for breakfast every day. When my family comes to visit I'm going to make these, yum!

    ReplyDelete