Friday, July 23, 2010

How to...roast garlic


Yum! I love garlic - in all forms...roast garlic is one of my favorite though. Just wanted to give a quick tip on exactly how to roast and keep roast garlic since it's great to have around the house.

Here's how I roast garlic. In a 350 degree oven...well, it can be 375 or 400. I usually put garlic in when I'm doing something else - like a casserole or baked potatoes.

They are easy to prepare for the oven. As you can see in the photo, you want to slice off the tops of the garlic bulbs, so all the cloves are exposed. I place mine in an aluminum foil "boat" of sorts - just a bunch of foil that is gathered into a lip around the sides so it won't spill in the oven.

Drizzle with some oil - not too much, just about 1/2 T. per bulb of garlic, and place in the oven for up to 1 hour. Take them out when they look like the picture. Let cool.

Now, what can you do with it?

Well, I like to use it in salad dressings, risotto, chicken. Anything really. It also makes a great dip for veggies or chips - mixed with some cream cheese and a few other things, of course...

It stores well. I like to store mine by the tablespoon full in the freezer. Once the cloves have cooled, I like to grab a bulb and squeeze all the cloves out - they come out in a paste consistency. Then, I place them on some waxed paper in tablespoonfuls and freeze. To use, I just pop one of those in the microwave and defrost, then use when I want to.

You can also make roast garlic oil. I like to add a bulb of roast garlic to 1/2 cup oil, and then heat the oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Store in the refrigerator and use it as you would use oil.

If you like garlic at all, this is a great thing to add to your pantry staples!

1 comment:

  1. I am sooooo glad you posted this, you have told me but I am a cook that needs more instuctions. AN yes PICTURES (cooking for dumbbies)
    Thank you
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete