Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July Daring Bakers Challenge - Swiss Swirl Ice Cream Cake!

I don't know why sometimes strange and unusual things pop into my head. This was one of them. When I first read about the July Daring Bakers Challenge Sunita hosted, immediately, I wanted to do it inside out. I couldn't get that out of my head.

I thought a lot about why you don't see more home cooks mixing ice cream flavors -even if you buy the different ice creams - now I know. It's not as easy as it sounds. As it turns out, rolling ice cream is actually pretty difficult. But, it is worth the effort.


The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home. Thank you again, Sunita, for such an awesome challenge.

I didn't make Sunita's recipe, even though it looked tasty. AND, you didn't need an ice cream maker to make the ice cream. So, if you are looking for some wonderful variations on this theme, check out some of the folks over on the daring bakers blogroll for some highly creative ideas!

I rolled Almond custard ice cream in Raspberry Sorbet, and the middle is an Almond Ginger pound cake. Then I plated it all in a puddle of Hot Chocolate Ginger sauce. I chose a perfect time to make this - right before our first hot summer day here. So we had some ice cream to eat while it got up to 90 - yea, then it went back down to 70's and cloudy.

I was a little worried about the chocolate sauce, but it was great. I simply added ginger while I was heating the cream and I got a nice smooth ginger flavor infused with the chocolate.

I am not wishing I had taken pictures of the process of how I rolled the ice cream. But, I hope you can picture it. I guess I need to learn to "cook clean" (i.e. not get what I'm cooking over every surface of the kitchen while cooking) so I can start taking pictures of the process and not have them look messy.

What I did is, while I was making the sorbet in my ice cream maker, I lined a 9" square pan with saran wrap (aka cling film). After freezing that solid (and refreezing my ice cream maker), I made the almond ice cream, and placed that on top of the raspberry sorbet, and once again, froze it solid.

After that, I removed it from the pan, and began rolling, taking the wrap off as I rolled so I wouldn't roll the plastic wrap into the ice cream. It wasn't easy to roll it while it was frozen, but I didn't want the colors to bleed together. I froze it again until very solid. When I was ready, I lined a loaf pan with plastic wrap, then removed cut into 1/2" slices and lined the pan with the slices. Then, I sliced the pound cake to fit in the middle and refroze.

If I were to do this over, I would make both ice cream layers much smaller by placing the ice cream in a larger pan - maybe a 9x13 oblong pan. And, I would make sure to keep the middle ice cream layer rather thin.


Finally, I made a cake roll. My initial idea behind this was I was going to make another very small ice cream cake, but this was so good, we just ate it as is. This is my first experience with Pandan, and wow, is it tasty. It took me almost 2 weeks to even open the pandan preserves jar - mainly because of the color. Now, I'm frantically looking for pandan essence around here (without success) so I can try to make different things with it.

For this roll, I used my standard vanilla roll cake recipe, which I got from King Arthur Flour website. Then, I simply spread a very light layer of already prepared pandan preserves on it.

Here are the recipes:

Raspberry Sorbet
2 pints raspberries
2 T. lemon juice
1 cup cold simple syrup (made by heating equal parts sugar and water to boil, then cooling)
1 T. raspberry liquer (optional)

Puree raspberries in a food processor. Strain through a strainer fine enough to get the seeds out of the raspberries.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place in a prepared ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacture directions.

Almond Custard Ice Cream (adapted from Ina Garten)

4 egg yolks
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. cream
1 c. milk
2 T. almond liquer
1/2 c. toasted almonds

Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale, about 3 minutes. Place the mixture in a sauce pan and heat on low to medium heat until mixture will coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Be very careful to not overcook the eggs. Slowly add the cream and milk. Strain mixture, then cool in refrigerator. When ready to add to your ice cream maker, add almond liquer and process according to manufacturers directions. Add toasted almonds immediately before freezing.

Almond Ginger Pound Cake

3/4 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 2/3 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t. almond extract
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 c. milk

Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, salt, almond extract, baking powder, and ginger. Slowly add milk, then gently stir in flour just until batter comes together.

Bake in a loaf pan 45 minutes to 1 hour, until golden brown, and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on cooling rack until room temperature.

Dark Chocolate Ginger Sauce

2 oz. dark chocolate
3 T. cream
1/3 c. boiling water
1 c. sugar
1 t vanilla
3-5 ginger slices

Heat water to boiling and add ginger slices. Remove from heat and add sugar. Stir until all sugar is dissolved. Add chocolate and cream, and stir until chocolate is melted. Add vanilla. Remove ginger slices, and refrigerate until ready to serve. This is best served warm.

Vanilla Roll cake with Pandan Filling
adapted from King Arthur Flour

6 eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. water
1/2 t. sugar
2 t. vanilla
1 c. unbleached all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 375. Line a 18x13 jelly roll pan with parchment, and lightly grease or spray parchment.

In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and salt until light and foamy. Gradually add sugar while continuing to beat and beat for 3 minutes until very light and fluffy. Gently mix in water and vanilla. Gently fold in flour, making sure mixture is well combined.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 13-16 minutes, until cake is golden brown and edges are just beginning to brown. Remove from oven. Let cool 2 minutes, then carefully roll in a prepared towel (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/1050/rolling-a-swiss-roll is the best tutorial I could find).

How I do it is like this: Place another piece of parchment over the cake in the pan. Place a towel over that parchment. Invert onto a table, and gently get the cake out of the pan. Now, take the parchment that was in the pan off the cake, and invert onto the cake, and roll in the towel. Let cool.

Once cool, unroll and fill with your favorite preserves. Reroll and serve.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! I love that you did this inside out. I had enough trouble rolling my swiss roll, I can't imagine rolling ice cream! Great job on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative! I would have never thought to reverse the layers. Your ice cream choices look tasty as well. Nice work on a successful challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, such a creative idea to make an inside out swiss swirl ice cream cake! that's brave, especially since, as you noted, it's hard to roll ice cream! However, you did a marvelous job, and I LOVE the vanilla cake rolled with Pandan preserves. Sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete