Sunday, August 1, 2010

2 different cheesecakes - chocolate chip and chocolate chocolate chip

This picture...it makes the chocolate cheesecake look yummy, but shows you I over cooked the chocolate chip one...oops! I still want to share both recipes with you, though, so have pity on the poor overcooked chocolate chip one - it was still good!

I really like my mini cheesecake pans. I have 2 - one that says bite size, but really is 2 bites, and the other is a 5" pan. I think it's really a blessing to make that little cheesecake and not have to worry about getting rid of it all. Let's face it - an 8" cheesecake is a LOT of cheesecake.

After quite a bit of testing, I've discovered that if I par down my recipes to use only 8oz of cream cheese, that will fit into 2 small 5" pans perfectly. This is great for me, since I can test out flavors and I can make a variety of little cheesecakes.

Like these, actually. I made these for a friend, but made a few for me to keep as well. If you want to make an 8" cheesecake, just multiply the recipes by 3. If you want little cheesecakes and don't have specialty pans, you can make these in cupcake form, and each recipe should make 6-8 cupcakes.

I wanted to make Tim some cheesecake. Well, actually, I was making him a treat. And, he mentioned he wanted something that didn't have gluten in it so he could share with his trainer. When I told him what I had planned (cheesecake with a nut crust), he said his trainer wouldn't eat it anyway, so I just made a nice chocolate crust.

Since I had saved him a small hazelnut caramelized white chocolate cheesecake (from this post), I thought I would give him a variety of different cheesecakes to eat. So, I made him a double chocolate cheesecake, and a chocolate chip cheesecake.

These are great. The chocolate one was very intensely chocolate. I used chunks of chocolate for the chocolate chip one, and I think that worked better than normal chocolate chips. I liked the dark chocolate contrast to the smooth cream cheese.

The chocolate one is perfect for the chocolate lover. I added melted bittersweet chocolate to the cheesecake, and the result was a rich and creamy chocolate filling.

Chocolate chip cheesecake
Makes 2 5" cheesecakes

Crust:

1/2 c. chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
2 T. butter, melted

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. chocolate chips, or 4 oz. dark chocolate cut into chunks
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350.

For the crust: Combine cookie crumbs and melted butter and mix well. Divide in 1/2 and press 1/2 in each 5" cheesecake pan, gently pressing up the sides. The best way to do this is with a small water glass.

For the cheesecake: Combine cream cheese and sugar, mix for about 1 minutes, until well combined and creamy. Add egg, salt, and vanilla and mix until very well combined. Divide batter in 1/2 and pour each 1/2 over the prepared crust.

Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-30minutes until center just barely wiggles. Cool for at least 4 hours or refrigerate overnight. Serve at room temperature.

Chocolate chocolate chip cheesecake
Makes 2 5" cheesecakes (or 12 mini's)

Crust:

1/2 c. chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
2 T. butter, melted

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
2 T. flour
1/2 c. chocolate chips, or 4 oz. dark chocolate cut into chunks
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350.

For the crust: Combine cookie crumbs and melted butter and mix well. Divide in 1/2 and press 1/2 in each 5" cheesecake pan, gently pressing up the sides. The best way to do this is with a small water glass.

For the cheesecake: Combine cream cheese and sugar, mix for about 1 minutes, until well combined and creamy. Add egg, salt, and vanilla and mix until very well combined. Stir in chocolate and flour. Divide batter in 1/2 and pour each 1/2 over the prepared crust.

Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-30minutes until center just barely wiggles. Cool for at least 4 hours or refrigerate overnight. Serve at room temperature. If making in cupcake cups, bake 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment