Sunday, August 22, 2010

(Leftover) Pork Tacos

I am often left with leftover bits of different proteins in my refrigerator. 1/2 a chicken breast, a piece of cooked pork loin from a roast, 1/2 a steak because the portion is usually way too big, etc.

Creatively using leftovers seem to be a theme lately. While I enjoy having some dinner leftovers to use the next day for lunch (an old time-saving trick from when I was on call 24x7 and barely had time to breathe), I was stuck in a rut. I have been creatively using leftovers from my baking, maybe it was time to spice things up with my dinners.

Enter the leftover pork taco. I created a quick sauce from some low sodium chicken broth, and was able to find a spice blend after fiddling around with it that is full of flavor, and just perfect. They tasted so good.

Since I prefer my tacos with a little bit of coleslaw instead of more traditional lettuce and tomato, I whipped up some quick coleslaw dressing to add to my tacos. It's just a great blend of flavors, and hit the spot for a warm summer night.

Even if you don't like coleslaw in your tacos, if you don't like cilantro, I encourage you to give this sauce a try. It will be great without those things, trust me. This sauce also works very well with leftover chicken (and tofu)!

"Leftover" Pork tacos
Makes 4-5 tacos
1 1/2 c. pork loin, cooked and cubed
15oz can low sodium chicken broth
1/2 t. smoked paprika
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. ancho chile powder
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. black pepper

In a saucepan, combine all ingredients, and let cook over medium heat until chicken broth is reduced by 75%. Add 1 t. lime juice and serve on tacos.

Coleslaw dressing

1/3 c. mayonnaise
2 T. low fat sour cream
1 t. apple cider vinegar
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. sugar
2 t. lemon juice
2 cups shredded cabbage

In a bowl, combine all ingredients except cabbage. Add cabbage and mix well. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

For the tacos - I combine about 1/3 cup seasoned pork, 1/4 cup coleslaw, 1/4 avocado, and 2 t. chopped cilantro on a small heated corn tortilla shell.

5 comments:

  1. These look really good. At home I generally use chicken or turkey for tacos, but I need to expand my repertoire to pork too. And I love using cabbage instead of lettuce, but I think I'll have to give coleslaw a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. Feel free to try this with chicken as well - both work very well. And I think you will love the little vinegar flavor the coleslaw adds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these for dinner last night and we really enjoyed them. The cabbage adds a nice crunch. We also used a bit of queso fresco. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband has a mayo allergy...any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete