Sunday, August 8, 2010

Zucchini and Mushroom Bake


Vegetables never tasted so good. Really. This dish was inspired by left overs. A lot of my savory dishes lately seem to be inspired by leftovers. I had two small potatoes left over, and some onion jam. I also had some mushrooms and zucchini that I needed to use. For some reason I thought they would all taste well together.

The result? This dish is fantastic! The potatoes on the bottom were thinly sliced and got nice and golden, the onions were just a little sweet. The light layer of shredded cheese was nice and caramelized by the time all the vegetables were cooked and gave a nice crispy top crust. They both were a nice compliment to the earthy mushrooms and fresh zucchini. When I tasted this, I forgot I had cooked a pork loin, and just ate the veggies. The pork would have to wait another day.

This is a great dish for a side dish of vegetables, as well as a main dish if you want a vegetarian meal. And, it's very easy to make. You can substitute sauteed onions for the onion jam, and I think it would still be tasty. This will serve 4 easily as a side dish, or 2-3 as a main dish, with a salad or other vegetable dish.

A note on the seasoning. I consider gruyere and parmesan reasonably salty, so I didn't add a great deal of salt. The dish was perfectly seasoned for me, but you may need to add more salt, since I have a normally use a lower amount of salt that is called for in other recipes.

Zucchini Mushroom Bake

1 medium or 2 small yukon gold potatoes, cut into very thin slices
8 oz small button mushrooms, sauteed in 1 t. oil until very tender
2 small zucchini, cut into 1/2" slices
2 T. onion jam, or 1/2 sweet onion, sauteed until light brown in 1 t. oil
4 oz. gruyere cheese, shredded
2 T. parmesan cheese, grated
2/3 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Mix two cheeses together. In a 9" deep dish pie pan, spray or lightly oil bottom to make sure your potatoes don't stick. Put one layer of sliced potatoes in the pan, slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with a little of your salt and pepper. Place your onions evenly over the potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/3 of your cheese mixture. Top with sauteed mushrooms, then one even layer of your zucchini. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper, and remaining cheese mixture.

Bake in your oven for 35-45 minutes until the top is deep golden brown. Let cool 5-10 minutes, cut into wedges, and serve.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so good!! I have a ton of zucchini from the garden & am always looking for a new use up. thanks! I really like your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I was really surprised how much I loved this dish - it seems so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made this twice this week... Definitely a new household favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely the hit. I added a few slices of green pepper and can't wait to make it again - it's well worth the effort (not that much really) to make a really nice onion "marmelade" - has so many other uses as well. Thxxx

    ReplyDelete