Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Fig cookies


Have you ever had a craving? One that makes you think you are crazy? Some combination of flavors you are sure will taste good, because it does in your head, but you've never tried the combination before?

That's where these cookies came from. I had about 1/2 bag Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips in my freezer. As I was munching a few one day (that's why there was only 1/2 a bag...), I decided I wanted to put them with figs...and cardamom...and oatmeal...in cookies.

The result? These cookies...these cookies! They are so good! I've made them twice now - first as an experiment, and the second time for Amanda's first day of school (I wonder if any of them made it to school.).

They taste so good! The dark chocolate is perfect with chopped dried figs. There's just enough bitterness in dark chocolate to compliment the sweet and chewy fig. The cardamom highlights all the flavors without being overpowering.

I adapted this recipe from the Oatmeal barrel. I prefer the "old fashioned" oats. If you have quick oats, you can use those, and your recipe will be a little bit different, but still delicious! You can also leave out the cardamom out if you wish, the cinnamon and nutmeg make these delicious on their own!

Finally, when you cut your figs in small pieces, be sure to cut the stem off the top. While most of them are OK, some of them contain hard parts that aren't nice in cookies. And, I always toast any nuts before I add them to baked goods. They just taste better that way.

Dark Chocolate Fig Cardamom Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
2/3 c. figs, cut into small cubes and sprinkled with 1/2 t. cardamom
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 t salt
3 cups oats
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2/3 c. chopped walnuts, toasted and cooled

Heat oven to 350. Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well.

Add flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until combined. Add remaining ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Drop by tablespoons (or larger) onto cookie sheet (I use parchment paper, but mostly so my cleanup is less). Bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Cool slightly on cookie sheet, and then remove to wire rack.

4 comments:

  1. Chocolate oatmeal cookies are one of my favorites! The addition of fig is brilliant. I can never manage to keep even half a bag of chocolate in the house...it's one of my favorite snacks too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I crave peppermint in chocolate. It is my favorite combination. Those cookies look delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jeanne - I know, those chocolate chips are addictive, aren't they? I put them in the freezer, thinking I wouldn't eat them there, but I was wrong!

    @loll - Peppermint in chocolate is really yummy! I like to make peppermint marshmallows just to float in hot chocolate. But, I am really in a dried fruit craze right now, and these were so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these last night, and rolled them in raw sugar before baking. It added a nice little crunch to the outside. They were delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete