Monday, September 6, 2010

Scallion Pancakes


I love these. They are so simple, yet so tasty. And, they go with so many things! Here, I ate them with some Chinese Barbecue Pork and ginger jam (recipe coming for the jam!). My mom prefers to eat them dipped in a little sweet soy with scallions. They are also good with terriyaki salmon or chicken. They are just great - a little nutty from the sesame oil, a little bite of onion, and just enough salt and pepper.

I would like to tell you I made these this weekend. But, I didn't. You wouldn't get such a nice picture if I had. I made them on the last sunny day we have seen last week. I've been experimenting with taking pictures, and trying to find a good balance between light and where I live. Not an easy task! It's really not easy to take pictures of food without good natural light. And, since there are so few days here without rain...yea, you get the picture.

I love the color of cedar. I'm not that much of a wood decor type of person - except when it comes to Oregon Ash, Cedar, and Cherrywood. Yes, I know they are vastly different...but I love them. This year, we got my mom a picnic table for her birthday. I convinced my youngest brother to make it. He used some cedar he had left over from when he built his house. The table is just gorgeous. I'm sure you can tell that from the picture!

Yes, I did sit out at the picnic table and snack on Scallion pancakes with Barbecue pork. It was a perfect dinner on a late summer night. I really encourage you to give this recipe a try - you won't be disappointed!

These are SO easy to make. I've enclosed a pdf of how to make them for one simple reason - it's sort of hard to explain how to roll them the way I do. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I thought I would show you how I do it.

Scallion Pancakes

2 cups flour
1-1 1/2 cup very hot water
1-2 T. toasted Sesame Oil
2-3 scallions, chopped
1-2 t. salt
1-2 t. pepper
Oil for frying

In a mixing bowl, combine flour and 2/3 c. water. Stir quickly, and add enough water for the mixture to form a cohesive ball. The dough should not be sticky, or too floury. Let rest for 20 minutes.

Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Roll one part into a large circle. Sprinkle with sesame oil, scallions, salt, and pepper.

Roll the dough up cinnamon roll style. Once you have rolled the dough up, gently twist it as shown in the picture. The best way to do this is to place one hand on each end of the dough, and move one hand toward you, and the other away.

Begin rolling the dough onto itself, like a snail shape. When you are finished, tuck the end under the rest of the dough.

Lightly flatten the dough, and then continue rolling the dough out, until the dough is 1/4 “ thick. Cut into 8 wedges (I use a pizza cutter for this).

Heat a fry pan on medium high heat. Add 1 T. oil, and fry each of your pancake wedges. Serve warm with a soy sauce or ginger jam.

3 comments:

  1. I was afraid to eat these but once I did WOW they are wonderful an will go with most ANY dinner or lunch even my daughter loved them.
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh these are super popular here in Taiwan!! My mom used to make them in America for us :D I LOVE them a lot and they are super yummy! Sometimes we made a lot and froze some to thaw and fry later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! I'm a huge pancake lover, but stick with breakfast, sweet pancakes. I definitely need to get into the savory realm :)

    ReplyDelete