Monday, October 4, 2010

Coconut Jam

It's coconut week here at Twisted Kitchen. You may wonder why. Well, the reason is simple. I went to have my birthday lunch with Timmy tar-woooo in Portland, and we went to an Asian Grocery store...where I bought about 8 cans of coconut milk. So of course, I had to use it, and now I'm sharing the recipes with you!

I have been making this recipe for a few months now. And, it's incredible. Now, I'm not much of a breakfast eater. While I just love going out to eat breakfast, and love breakfast on weekends, on a daily basis, the only thing I can manage for breakfast is a piece of fruit.

Coconut Jam could change my mind and make me a breakfast fanatic. It's wonderful on toast, crackers, and even on a spoon. Don't get me started on how good it is as a cake filling or filling some thumbprint cookies. Now, if only my wonderful whole grain bread would stop getting moldy. I will just have to start making my own again!

I first heard about Coconut Jam from Caleb. One of his relatives owns a factory that makes it and distributes it in Singapore. While it sounded interesting, I really wondered what I would eat it with. It sort of slipped my mind until I saw Susan Feneger on Top Chef:Masters make it. It looked really good, so I bookmarked it.

This summer, during my preserving/jam phase, I decided I should try this. Wow...it's amazing. With this recipe, I'm honestly shocked she lost that episode after making this recipe.

I did modify her recipe a bit. It was a bit difficult to understand, and I sort of messed up the recipe the first time because of it. But, I think that the recipes are very similar.

This will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks, and in the freezer for a few months. If you are looking for something simply amazing for your breakfast, give this a try.

I've also decided to try to give a tip on each of my posts - so your tip today is - if you can, buy coconut milk from an Asian grocery store. It's much cheaper and you get a better selection.

Coconut Jam
Adapted from Susan Feneger (bravotv.com)

1 19 oz. can coconut milk
2 cups sugar
2 T. ginger, grated
6 egg yolks
1/2 c. cold butter, cut in cubes
1 t. salt

In a medium saucepan, add coconut milk, ginger, egg yolks, and ginger and whisk to combine. Place on very low heat and cook until the mixture thickens, about 30 minutes. Strain the ginger out and add the butter, one piece at a time, until incorporated. Don't add the butter too fast, or it won't properly incorporate.

Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator or freezer.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious!! I can see it becoming a filling for a cake or a pastry, too. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to say this, but maybe she lost because it wasn't actually a jam. A jam has pieces of fruit as well as juice and pectin (whether added in or naturally found in the fruit) in it. It's texture is completely different than this.

    This is a custard. The eggs and butter thicken the coconut milk. This would work equally as well for a pie filling as on toast and other wonderfully bland carriers ('nilla wafers, etc), or just on a spoon out of the refrigerator.

    I could see, in a competition as fierce as Top Chef is, how calling it the wrong thing could take one out of the running.

    All that being said (and my cooking geekiness showing), that looks like an excellent recipe that I will have to make one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andrea - Yes, I love this stuff. It's a great indulgence.

    @welshwm3 - Yea, I hesitated in calling it a jam, but since it's sort of known in a lot of Malaysian countries as jam, I couldn't rename it on a technicality. I remember the judges saying that she lost because she served them "soup and sandwich", which I also thought was a technicality...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic idea! I'm going to make this very soon. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @twistedkitchen: This is a mere sandwich like creme brulee is a mere custard!

    Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete