Thursday, October 7, 2010

Coconut Sandwich cookies



Oh my goodness, do I have a treat for you today! This is my second to last post on coconut - saving up for the big Coconut Explosion this weekend.

I have to tell you, these cookies are divine. The cookies themselves are light and moist with a yummy taste of coconut. The middles...well, that's where the magic is. It's a coconut dulche de leche with some chopped coconut mixed in.

What is coconut dulce de leche, you might ask. Well, like a bunch of other "foodies", I like to look at all the pretty pictures on their sites. I'm hoping my photography will be good enough one day for them to post one of my pictures, but that is another story.

Anyway, I was browsing all the wonderful food, and I came across a few sites that made dulce de leche. I've made this before, and it's very tasty. But, I couldn't help but think - hmm, I wonder if it could be made with coconut milk.

Instead of being "normal" and doing some internet research, I opened a can of coconut milk, and dumped it, 1 cup of sugar, and some fresh ginger in a pan and put it on the stove. Little did I know that epicurious.com had a very similar recipe online. Which I looked up when I had my mixture on the stove for an hour and it wasn't doing much. After reading the recipe, I turned up the stove and let it boil for a while, until it was the color below.




This batch was the one that I added some chopped and shredded coconut to to see how it tasted. This stuff is A-Maz-Ing! So, of course, I had to find a cookie recipe to sandwich it between.

I adapted a whoopie pie recipe for this, but...I forgot to put in the baking powder. If you want your cookies to look like this, you can leave it out too. If you want something a little more cakey, put it in. Either way, you won't be disappointed!Coconut Sandwich Cookies with coconut dulce de leche

For the coconut dulce de leche
Inspired by epicurious.com

1 can (approx. 16 oz) coconut milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. fresh ginger, cut in thin slices
1/3 c. finely chopped coconut (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a medium to large saucepan. Be sure your pan has enough room, this mixture will increase a bit in volume a bit while it's cooking, and you don't want a hot messy spill. Over medium high heat, stir occasionally while bringing the mixture to a boil. Boil the mixture until it's a golden brown. Strain the mixture (to remove the ginger), then add chopped coconut, and cool. Will keep in the refrigerator in a sealed container 2-3 weeks.

For the coconut whoopie pies:

2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. room temperature butter
1 egg
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and continue beating until fluffy, a few minutes longer. Beat in milk, salt, and vanilla until mixture is very well combined.

Stir in flour until just combined. Be careful to not overmix. Drop by tablespoon full onto the cookie sheets. Since they will spread a little, leave 1-2" between the cookies. Bake 10-14 minutes until the tops just start to look slightly brown. Cool completely.

Spoon 1-1 1/2 t. coconut dulce de leche on one cookie, and place another on top for a sandwich. Try to not eat the entire batch.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds so good!! I love coconut and caramel like things, combining them is sheer genius! Bookmarking for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow they do look rather delicate, rather special and rather yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy! I'm not a huge coconut fan, but these cookies tempt me to try them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Andrea - Thanks! They are so good. I will warn you though, that caramel...is addictive!

    @mangocheeks - Yes, they were surprisingly delicate but had a really pronounced flavor. Very rich and tasty!

    @Sprinkled with flour - I've found that most people that don't like coconut don't like the texture. Give the caramel a try without the added coconut, you may surprise yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look pretty wonderful! I will definitely have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, these do look good. Plus, I've been meaning to make a sandwich cookie...!
    Oh, and I can see how pretty the cookies are in that second photo. I like they way you stacked them on each other making them looks so nice together-pretty;)

    ReplyDelete