Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween Treats - 2 different Whoopie Pies!




This is my first attempt at whoopie pies, and I am so happy with the result. I chose to make Spiced Pumpkin with Cream Cheese Filling, and Dark Chocolate with Peanut Butter Cream. Both are great!

I deliberately chose an orange and a black whoopie pie - the colors of halloween, and a great combination of flavors for any Halloween Party! No tricks here, though, they are both treats!

The pumpkin whoopie pie is perfect - a soft, dense, spicy cake that sandwiches creamy, slightly tangy yet sweet filling. The result is perfect, and a great idea for your Halloween Party! My family loved these, and I'm glad I chose the recipe I did.
The chocolate whoopie pie I chose to fill with a peanut butter cream. I tried it with just peanut butter, and the peanut butter was too dense. I think a variation of the flour paste frosting recipe I am so found of is a great filling for whoopie pies, and I was right! This peanut butter frosting is just perfect- peanutty enough, yet creamy sweet.

A note about the chocolate recipe though - be very careful when cooking them. They are very easy to overcook, and dry out very easily when they are overcooked.

My tip today is an idea to get all your cookies the same size. I struggle with this as well. But, the easiest way I've found is to go to a Restaurant Supply Store, and buy a few different size scoops. I have one that perfectly fills my cupcake tins, my mini cupcake tins, and one tablespoon measure.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Molasses Cream Cheese Filling
Adapted from joyofbaking.com(whoopie pies)
Filling by Twisted Kitchen

3 cups flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground cloves
1 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. salt
2 cups pumpkin puree (approx 1 15 oz can)
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups light brown sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
2 eggs, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, and beat until well combined. Add pumpkin, all spices, baking powder, baking soda, and mix until combined. Mix in flour just until well mixed.

Drop mixture by 2 tablespoon onto a greased cookie sheet. Ideally, each should be spaced up to 2" apart. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, until top is starting to dry. Cool while you make frosting.

Molasses Cream Cheese Filling

1/2 c. cream cheese (4 oz)
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 T. molasses
3 cups powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. cinnamon
1-2 T. heavy cream

Combine cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. While still beating, slowly add vanilla and molasses. Add just enough cream to make smooth and creamy consistency.

To assemble - Pair baked whoopie pies together based on similar shape for top and bottom. Place generous topping on one piece, and gently sandwich your whoopie pies.

Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Peanut Butter Filling
Adapted from Joy of Baking (whoopie pies)
Peanut Butter Filling (TwistedKitchen)

1 3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. cocoa (I use dutch processed)
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 c. coffee
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. sour cream
1 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 cookie sheets, or prepare parchment sheets for the pans.

In a medium bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg, vanilla, sour cream, and coffee and mix until well combined.

Add remaining ingredients, and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.

Drop by 2 T. onto prepared cookie sheet, leaving 2" between each. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until tops are just starting to dry and top springs back when touched. Cool while making the filling.

Peanut Butter Filling

5 T. flour
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla

In a small saucepan, heat flour and milk, stirring constantly, until a very thick paste. Cool until very cold.

Once paste mixture is cold, beat peanut butter, butter, and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla and flour paste and continue mixing until light and fluffy, 2 minutes.

Spread peanut butter filling between two similar size chocolate whoopie pies.


4 comments:

  1. I just recently made my first whoopie pies too! I have a cookbook to test and it was finally cool enough. I have to try some more recipes before I can post but this first batch turned out pretty good. I think. I'd never had a whoopie pie before but a friend who grew up eating them told me that these were goo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 flavors of whoopie pies?! I would love to be spoiled with those :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! These do both look so good. Oh, and I have trouble with getting my cookies to be all the same size too. I guess I need to get some scoopers;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never in my life made these. I think I need to make some. Yours look delish!

    ReplyDelete