Wednesday, October 27, 2010

October 2010 Daring Bakers Challenge - Get ready for donuts!

Just looking at that picture makes me hungry! They were that good.

The October 2010 Daring Bakers challenge was hosted by Lori of Butter Me Up. Lori chose to challenge DBers to make doughnuts. She used several sources for her recipes including Alton Brown, Nancy Silverton, Kate Neumann and Epicurious.

Having already made a huge batch of donuts in July, I was looking for something a bit different. Then I remembered - Malasada's...wow, are these good. If you have ever been fortunate enough to visit Hawaii, have some there - that's where I was introduced to them.

Now, I will admit, if Hawaii were a person, I would have an affair with them. I love that state, I love those islands, and there really isn't anything I don't love about Hawaii. I'm not too crazy about poi, but I love Hawaii!

Since those popped into my head, I went in search of a recipe. I have about 4 hawaiian recipe sites bookmarked on my computer, and the hawaii.edu site did not disappoint. The only thing I changed was using half and half instead of the condensed milk in the recipe. These are just a rich pillowy bite. I will definitely make again!

I decided to make these over at my brother Matt's house for a going away party - they were very well received. And, they are delicious. I cut them in simple squares and let them rise before baking, which was way easier than shaping them in donut shape. But, that's one of the things that's great about Malasada's - they are 2-3 bites of non-pretentious deliciousness!

I chose to serve them with something to dip them in. And, since I'm currently in my I love dulce de leche and caramel coconut, we each got a choice of that. If you want to make coconut caramel, just use this recipe without adding chopped coconut. It is amazing.

Thank you again Lori for such an awesome challenge!


Malasada's (recipe from hawaii.edu)

1 T. yeast
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. warm water
6 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 c. half and half or evaporated milk
6 eggs

Vegetable oil (for frying)
extra sugar (for coating - you can add a little nutmeg if you wish)

Dissolve yeast, 1 t. sugar, and 1/4 c. water and set aside. Beat eggs. Check yeast to make sure it is bubbly. If not, start over with the yeast.

Place 3 cups flour in a mixing bowl, and add eggs and yeast mixture. Mix well. Add milk, sugar, salt, and remaining water and mix well. Let rest 15 minutes. Mix dough and add additional flour, 1 cup at a time. Dough will be slightly sticky and very soft. Knead 3-5 minutes.

Place in a greased bowl and let rise for 1-2 hours. Turn out, and gently shape dough until it's about 1/2" thick. Cut with pizza cutter into small shapes, and let rest an additional 30-40 minutes.

While dough is resting, heat oil in a cast iron pot, or a deep fryer to 325 degrees. Fry dough 1-2 minutes on each side, being very careful to not add too many pieces at a time to your oil. Immediately after removing from oil, shake with extra sugar to coat.

5 comments:

  1. They look super yummy, I will try this recipe out....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of these- how interesting and delicious they sound. I especially like the thought of a dipping sauce!!! great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... dipping sauce! And a new recipe to try! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! Well done on the challenge, I loved it too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @crumbsoflove - thank you! I actually got the idea of a dipping sauce from a combination of my favorite mall snack (almond pretzels with caramel sauce), and from Poppy, a Seattle Restaurant that serves donuts in a paper bag with dipping sauce.

    @Renuka - I hope you love it!

    @misty - Hope you like the recipe - I was very happy with it!

    @loll - thanks! I loved the challenge, can't wait for the next!

    ReplyDelete