Thursday, November 4, 2010

Home made Poptarts - mini version

I'm sure by now, most of you have seen the home made poptarts floating around the internet. Those sweet little versions of childhood treats. I've been wanting to make them for a long time.


But, I was puzzled by one simple question - should I try for a full on recreate of my favorite - brown sugar poptarts? Or, should I try something a little different. Of course, I picked different.

But first, I went looking for a good crust recipe. I chose the crust from the Brown Eyed Baker.

Her recipe seemed the tastiest, and it was. I made a modification to the method I will discuss below, but if you don't have any fruit butter laying around, give her fillings a try.

I thought this would be a perfect time to fill my poptarts with some flavors I have preserved this winter - or new flavors I created for breakfast. Before I reveal my flavors, let me just say - these little things are just perfect for all those fruit butters we have all been making.

Turns out, Kaya, or coconut jam makes heavenly poptarts. Yes, that's right, you heard it heard it here first - coconut poptarts! And, they were amazing. On another note, I made 2 dulche de leche poptarts, and those are incredible as well.

You are probably wondering why my poptarts are frosted with green icing. I chose pandan essence to flavor the frosting, thinking it would go well with the mango and coconut. It does go very well. I love pandan, it's just so very green. Added some interest to my poptarts, though! If you want to give pandan a try, look for it in your local asian market. It's sold as pandan essence, or screwpine.


I strongly recommend you try shredding the butter for this pastry. I really like this technique. It is a nice foolproof way to make a flaky pastry. I use this for biscuits, scones, and pie crusts, and have not had a tough one yet. And it's so easy. Just shred in your food processor. If you don't have a food processor, a salad shooter, or hand grater also works.



I decided to make the poptarts mini, and I think that was a great idea. These were perfect as 3-4 bites. So you can have one of each and some fruit for breakfast. These freeze well. To reheat, just stick in a toaster oven. If you want to reheat in a toaster, simply don't frost them.

These are the mango butter ones. For some, I finely diced a mango and mixed it with the mango butter. I really preferred the mango butter on its own.

I think it's a great idea to use fruit butters in your poptarts or turnovers. Since they contain little water, there is no danger of the crust getting soggy.



Mango Butter and Kaya poptarts
Adapted from Brown eyed baker

For the crust:

2 cups all purpose flour (I use unbleached)
1 cup frozen butter, grated
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk

For the fillings:

1/3 c. mango butter
1/3 c. kaya, aka coconut jam

For the frosting:

1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 t. pandan essence (you can use coconut extract if you can't find the essence)
2 t. milk

1 egg, lightly beaten with 2 t. water (to seal the pastries together)

To make the crust, combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl, and mix with your hands. Add the cold shredded butter, and mix with your hands until the butter has been coated with the flour. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, add milk and egg, and mix just until mixture starts to become a ball.

Take dough out of the bowl and put on a floured board. Gently combine dough into a ball, kneading briefly just to get dough into a ball. Divide in 1/2 and wrap each 1/2 in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days.

Once the dough has been chilled, preheat oven to 350. Place it on a floured surface and roll thin, about 1/8", into a 9x12 rectangle. Cut into 18 3x2" rectangles. Place 9 of those rectangles on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, and fill with 2 t. of your selected filling. Brush the edges with your egg mixture and place a piece of dough on top. Crimp the edges closed with the tins of a fork.

Brush each pastry with the egg mixture and prick the middle with a fork so any steam can escape. I didn't do this to some of the pastries, and they were still fine. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Combine flour and pandan essence in a small bowl with a fork. Add milk until icing is thin enough to drizzle on your poptarts. Drizzle on cooled poptarts.

These are best served warm.

3 comments:

  1. I've never had poptarts, but they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW those look fantastic :) Never had poptarts but saw them in the movies, so those are tempting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I need to start kicking things up a notch;-) Homemade pop tarts...sheesh. Yeah, I need to break out of this lull I'm having lately (smile). These look too delicious!

    ReplyDelete