Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas 2010 Cookie Explosion #4 - Gingerbread Loaf

Yes, I know this isn't a cookie. But, it is my favorite holiday treat - gingerbread with cinnamon honey butter. Ever since I've tasted Starbucks Gingerbread, I have been looking for a great recipe.

Now, this really doesn't taste a lot like Starbuck's Gingerbread...but I still love it. It has a light texture, isn't too sweet, and has tons of spices in it. It's great for breakfast during the holidays.

I chose to make a quick cinnamon honey butter to go on top of this, because I thought it would give it that added taste. I was right - it was tasty as well.

As you can see from my pictures, I was scared to mix this the first time I made it, and ended up with some little flour lumps. Don't be afraid to really mix this batter - it is very thin, and can take it - well, it can take more mixing than I did, but less than the absolute maximum...


Gingerbread Loaf
Adapted from Taste of Home Magazine
Makes 2 loaves

4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 325. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, syrup, and oil. Beat lightly, until well incorporated. Mix in flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, soda, ginger, and salt until well mixed. It's ok to make sure the batter is completely incorporated and no lumps remain.

Grease and flour 2 9x5 loaf pans and divide the batter between the two pans. Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool on wire rack.

Cinnamon Honey Butter

2 Tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons soft butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Combine all ingredients until well mixed.

1 comment:

  1. The gingerbread recipe is one of the best gingerbreads i ever made! the only change i made was to add chopped ginger in syrup. i didn't think the recipe would turn out as it doesn't have any butter in it but i was wrong. the honey butter melted on top of it when it came out of the oven was so good. and i did let my mixer mix it up good for no lumps and it was just fine. this recipe is a keeper! Kelly from Canada

    ReplyDelete