Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas 2010 Cookie Explosion #5 - Chocolate Surprise Cookies

Are we tired of cookies yet? Well, I'm not, especially since I have quite a few more to share with you...

I saw a recipe for chocolate caramel cookies on foodgawker quite a while back, and all I could think was yummy! From that post, I printed a recipe from allrecipes.com for these.

Of course, while I was making them, I was thinking...hmm...wonder what else I can stuff them with.


So, of course, I had to forage in my freezer and kitchen for bits and bites to stuff in my chocolate cookies. I came up with a few good ideas, and one or two not so good ones.

The directions I read said to fill the cookies with chocolate coated caramel candies. I tried it, and it does work, but if you just have caramel, that works as well. This also gives you the awesome opportunity to add salted caramel to these. Other things that work? Coconut, almond paste (and these are yummy), mini peanut butter cups, and mini peppermint candies.

Things that don't work so well? frozen nutella (it turns to goo), halves of ferror rocher candies, truffles (more goo), and mini snickers bars (still more goo).

And, just in case you are wondering, I have almonds and peanuts on my work board because that's how I could tell the what I stuffed the cookies with! Had to have some sort of key.

Finally, I did want to talk a little about my experience with these cookies. Yes, they are very good. However, if you do use caramel, be sure to use parchment paper, and don't take them off the parchment until they are completely cool. I could not get them off the parchment paper while hot without making them look like folded origami. The caramel needed time to harden a bit from being in the oven, and they stick like mad to the cookie sheet without some sort of parchment/foil/etc.


Filled Chocolate Cookies
From Allrecipes.com

1 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
Filling for 48 cookies - chocolate covered caramel candies, 48 mini peanut butter cups, 4 oz. almond paste, etc.

Beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in white sugar and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, and cocoa. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375. Divide dough into 4 parts. While working with one part, keep remaining dough in the refrigerator. Divide each part into 12 pieces. Quickly press each piece of dough around your filling. Roll into a ball. Place on a parchment covered baking sheet 2" apart. These cookies do spread, so be careful with placement.

Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool completely on parchment before removing.

NOTE: The allrecipes.com site suggests topping with chopped walnuts and sugar before baking, but I preferred the cookies without.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun idea! Stuffed surprise cookies are now on my cookie making menu :) Thanks for the tips on the caramel stuffed ones, too. I would have been impatient and messed them up LOL

    ReplyDelete