Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I ate a what?!? December Daring Cooks Challenge - Poaching Perfection

Jenn and Jill have challenged The Daring Cooks to learn to perfect the technique of poaching an egg. They chose Eggs Benedict recipe from Alton Brown, Oeufs en Meurette from Cooking with Wine by Anne Willan, and Homemade Sundried Tomato & Pine Nut Seitan Sausages (poached) courtesy of Trudy of Veggie num num.

I first must say I apologize for the picture. I have been playing around with my camera for various reasons, and didn't have the right settings for this. And, as usual, I was in a hurry to take the picture so I could eat my food before it got cold. And, I knew cold eggs would never get in my mouth...

I don't know what's happened to me. I used to love eggs. But, when I look back, I love them in things, or mixed with things. Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat at a restaurant because of all the scrummy choices of food...but at home when I think of breakfast, my stomach starts churning...

I think that's why I have never in my life had eggs bennedict. I was nervous. I was squeamish. Every time I thought I was ready to make these, my stomach did the ole flip.

Then I decided to put on my big girl panties and just do this. I have always wanted to make hollaindaise. I have always wanted to learn to poach an egg. Now was the perfect opportunity to do both.

To help me get over my fear, I made Alton's english muffins to go with my eggs bennedict. As you can see from the pic, those are awesome! I will make those again. As you can also tell from the picture, I squirmed out of the ham and/or bacon on my "breakfast" - which I chose to eat for dinner.

The result? I can see why this dish is so popular. I enjoyed the hollandaise sauce. I could appreciate the egg. While I did poach the egg to my version of perfection - a little solid yolk, solid white, and a little runnieness to the yolk, next time I'm going to cook that yolk until it's solid. And, next time, I'm going to add the ham/bacon!

Thank you again Jenn and Jill! Once again, Daring Cooks challenged me into doing something that has always been on my list of things to do. A special thanks to Audax for their insightful posts that helped me learn along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Yes Alton Brown's muffin recipe is a real keeper it is great. Your poached eggs look perfect well on this challenge.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they look great, and nothing wrong with cooking them to your liking :) Glad that you had fun learning some new techniques this month!

    ReplyDelete