Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Beef Stew with Yeasted Corn Bread

Yes, it's still cold here! We got the 3rd snow of the season yesterday and today. For those of you that live in the Pacific Northwest, you know how unusual that is. It's usually very rainy, but rarely snowy!

This makes the perfect weather for soups and stews - like beef stew. To me, this is the perfect winter dish. Full of nice vegetables and bits of tender beef, all floating in a flavorful gravy. It doesn't get much more comforting than this.

Now, I will admit to you - Sometimes I use leftovers for my stew. That little bit of roast beef you tucked in the freezer thinking - oh, I'll make something with it. Those two or three carrots floating around the bottom of your crisper drawer. It's all good.


Let's for a minute, talk about this bread. I loved it. I used the recipe from howtobaker. Now, I must admit, I don't like corn bread. It's a texture thing for me. I don't like how it falls apart, or how it seems to have crunchy bits in it from the corn meal. This bread fixes those problems, and was very good. Was an excellent accompaniment to my stew.

I'm not going to republish the recipe, will just refer you to this post. I must admit, I didn't do the poolish. I got impatient and just dumped everything together. It worked just as well, although I'm sure if the poolish were done, it would be a nicer texture. But, the texture was fine, and it was very tasty.

Beef Stew
Serves 4-6

1 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1" chunks
1/3 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1 t. oil
2 carrots, cut into 1 1/2" chunks
2 medium potatoes, cut into 1 1/2" chunks
2 celery stalks, cut into 1 1/2" chunks
1 medium onion, cut into 16 pieces
2 cups beef broth
2 T. soy sauce
1/2 t. garlic powder
2 T. rice wine vinegar
1 T. corn starch, mixed into 2 T. water

Lightly sprinkle beef stew with salt and pepper, and coat with flour. In a medium stew pot, heat oil and brown beef on all sides in batches. When all beef has been browned, add beef broth to pot and scrape bottom of the pot. Add all your vegetables, meat, and garlic powder. Reduce heat to low and let cook for 2-3 hours, until meat is tender and vegetables have been cooked. You can add more broth or water if needed.

Add soy sauce and rice wine vinegar, and stir. Taste broth, adjusting salt and pepper to taste. Thicken with cornstarch slurry and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Twisted Kitchen! This does look wonderful. I love a hearty soup like this on a cold day too. And it is kind of cold here in South Florida today actually...
    p.s. thanks for trying my date balls and for taking the time to comment on them and let others know that you liked them. I really appreciate that:-)
    XOXO,
    Stella

    ReplyDelete