Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mocha Cheesecake


While I would like to say this was an experiment gone bad, I simply can not. While the result was not what I expected, this cheesecake was simply amazing.

I have had this idea for a while - a 2 layer cheesecake, baked together. Just imagine it - complimentary cheesecakes baked together in layers. That was the original intention of this cheesecake - a beautiful coffee cheesecake on the bottom, and a wonderful chocolate cheesecake layer on top.

It didn't quite work out that way. There was a layer of coffee cheesecake on the bottom, but, for the most part, the layers combined into a simply divine mocha cheesecake. While I still have hopes of creating a multi layer cheesecake, I realize I will have to be a bit more creative if I want it to be a baked one. I do still have a few ideas, but the next cheesecake I have been thinking about for over 6 months, so I have to make that one first!


The cheesecake was embellished with white chocolate covered espresso beans, ganache, and caramel. And, this cheesecake went fast - it was a favorite all around! I've included instructions as if there were one layer, and we will save multiple layers for next time.

Mocha Cheesecake

For the crust:

1 1/2 cup chocolate wafer cookie crumbs - this is about 2/3 of a package of Oreos or similar
5 T. butter, melted

Mix together, and press into an 8 or 9" springform pan. Press the crumbs up the sides of the pan with a spoon or a measuring cup.

For the filling:

2 pounds cream cheese, softened to room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup cocoa powder (I use dutch processed)
1/2 cup espresso powder
2 t. vanilla extract
1 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese for 1-2 minutes until lighter. Add sugar, and beat for 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl to make sure well incorporated. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add cocoa powder, espresso powder, vanilla, and salt. Mix until completely incorporated and no white streaks remain. This will take a few minutes.

Pour mixture over prepared crust, and bake for 55 minutes at 350. Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature for at least one hour. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

When ready to serve, decorate with chocolate ganache, espresso beans, and/or caramel sauce. Let sit at room temperature for an hour before serving.

6 comments:

  1. This looks beyond delicious, its entered into a whole new level of awesomeness! Mocha cheesecake WITH ganache? OMG I must make this!! Bookmarked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing. Mocha flavor is delightful, I can't imagine how rich and decadent this tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Experiments are so fun and often yield such wonderful results. It looks wonderful and I'm sure tastes just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing...who cares if it didn't quite turn out the way you planned...I'll betcha I'd eat it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had a reply button!

    @Andrea - Thank you! This was my "one indulgence" on my new year to try to get in better shape.

    @Evan - Thanks! I loved it, and so did everyone I gave it to!

    @Amy - Yea, it was great, and hey, that's one of the fun things about cooking - you get to eat your "mistakes"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my...looks like heaven to me!!! I know I couldn't refuse a slice :)

    ReplyDelete