Thursday, January 6, 2011

Taco Soup

It's soup weather! My mom loves this soup. For me, it's ok. I think it would be better with shredded chicken than the ground beef, but it is very hearty and hits the spot on a cold winter day. It's one of those things that you can turn to from your pantry and have dinner on the table with minimal effort.

I like to call this a partially homemade soup. There are so many ingredients that you can simply combine from a few cans or frozen items. This makes it pretty easy to assemble on a weeknight, that's for sure. AND, it also lets me work on one of my New Years resolutions - use all my canned goods that I buy because it's on special and rarely use. AND, use all the stuff I froze from the summer...yea, more on that in future posts. You all will have to check my progress on that. And, yes, I know, the desire is there to simply donate all those cans to the food bank, but this is a challenge!

This soup is pretty versatile. You can substitute chicken for the beef, or just leave it out and add more beans. You can add more vegetables. You can buy tortilla chips instead of frying up some cut up tortilla's...but it is a great way to get rid of those few tortilla shells laying in your fridge!





Taco Soup

1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1 small onion, diced
1 t. vegetable oil
1 packet Taco Seasoning mix
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. smoked paprika
2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 16 oz can low sodium chicken broth
1 cup corn (you can use fresh, canned, or frozen here)
1 jalapeno, optional
1 15 oz can your choice of beans - I suggest pinto, red, or black, drained
1/3 c. corn meal or corn flour
Juice of 1/2 lime, or 1 t. vinegar

Garnishes:

Corn tortillas, cut in strips and fried or baked
Avocado
Sour Cream
Cheddar Cheese

In a medium to large soup pot, brown ground beef and onion in the vegetable oil. Add all remaining ingredients except corn flour and lime juice and let simmer over medium heat until mixture comes to a light boil. Sprinkle corn flour over soup while stirring to thicken. Add lime juice and taste. Add more seasonings to taste.

Serve with optional garnishes.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for taco soup! I love love this recipe, I once made this for my weight-loss group, they all screamed and yelled about how great it was. I love the avocados!

    ReplyDelete