Friday, February 4, 2011

Nutella Whoopie Pies for National Nutella Day (Feb. 5)



Ok, so I'm almost over my pout. What am I pouting about? Well, last weekend, I spent the weekend making a great dinner for my family in celebration of Chinese New year - pineapple tarts, sweet and sour pork, dry saute long beans, noodles, home made egg rolls, etc. etc. We had a great time...you saw the pics...oh wait...you didn't see the pics. Because I pushed the wrong button while transferring the pics...they disappeared, and I haven't been able to recover them. Hence, the pout.

Anyway, on to sweeter topics! February 5 is World Nutella Day! I don't know how this celebration got started, but, since I love it, I had to bake something for the occasion. My brother has been poking me to bake him a chocolate cake, so I hope nutella whoopie pies will satisfy his Superbowl sweet tooth!

When I started looking for recipes for nutella whoopie pies, all of the recipes I found just had nutella as a filling. Well...that wasn't quite what I was looking for, so I cobbled together a recipe from a red velvet whoopie pie recipe I have roaming around my kitchen (more on this one later).

I wanted a cakie cookie that tasted like chocolate with a hint of hazelnut, and a cream cheese filling that tasted like nutella, but wasn't too sweet. I think I did it! These are really good. They can be a bit delicate when coming just out of the oven, but these are worth the effort! And, I already have a plan for a few whoopie pies coming up in the future (not to mention a few surprises with cheesecake...stay tuned!).

I'm also working on a blog update that includes a link to each of my recipes so you can download a PDF to print of each one...more on that later this month.

For a PDF of this file, click here.


Chocolate Nutella Whoopie pies with Nutella Cream Cheese Filling

For the cookie:

2 cups flour

1 ½ t. baking soda

3 T. unsweetened cocoa powder

4 T. butter

2/3 c. nutella

2/3 c. sugar

1 egg

1 cup buttermilk

1 T. hazelnut liquer

½ t. salt

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, beat the nutella, butter, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add cocoa powder, egg, salt, buttermilk, and hazelnut liquer and mix until well incorporated. Add baking soda, and flour, mixing until all ingredients are incorporated.

Line baking sheets with parchment, or a silpad. Place dough on the cookie sheets about 1 ½” apart. I used a small cookie scoop that holds approximately 1 ½ tablespoon of dough for 18 sandwich cookies total.

Cook in preheated oven approximately 10-13 minutes, until set and top appears slightly dry. Remove from oven and let cool completely.

For the frosting:

2/3 c. nutella

8 oz cream cheese, softened

3 T. whipping cream

1 T. hazelnut liquer

3 cups powdered sugar

With a mixer, whip cream cheese, liquer, nutella, and whipping cream. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat for 2-3 minutes. Adjust consistency by adding up more powdered sugar, or more whipping cream.

When cookies have cooled, place up to 1 T. frosting on the bottom of one cookie, and gently press another cookie on top of the frosting, creating a sandwich.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man these look good!! Nutella is awesome stuff, putting it into a whoopie pie, well its just pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks so good. I am so sorry about your lost photos. I would be devastated too. It sounds like a wonderful feast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love whoopie pies, i don't care if they're not IN anymore! What a great recipe, the Nutella is perfect for these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! These sound heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good combination of flavors. Great idea to celebrate the day.

    ReplyDelete