Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March 2011 Daring Cooks Challenge - Ceviche and Papas Rellenas

Kathlyn of Bake Like a Ninja was our Daring Cooks’ March 2011 hostess. Kathlyn challenges us to make two classic Peruvian dishes: Ceviche de Pescado from “Peruvian Cooking – Basic Recipes” by Annik Franco Barreau. And Papas Rellenas adapted from a home recipe by Kathlyn’s Spanish teacher, Mayra.

Yummy! Well, that wasn't my first impression, until I scrolled down. There are so many fish and shellfish that I'm allergic to, my initial reaction to any fish is - nope, not me...

But, then I got to the recipe for Papas Rellenas. Wow, did they look good! And, they were!

I'm not going to post a recipe, for the simple reason that I followed the one that was provided - well, pretty much. you can see it here - along with the Ceviche recipe, and some bonus recipes as well.

I thought that substituting sweet potatoes would be great as a crust. Well...it was a good idea, but... I seem to be struggling in the kitchen lately. I blame my mixer. It quit working, and is still in many pieces on my floor, waiting for my brother to fix the poor thing. I've been a bit off ever since then.

Anyway, back to Sweet Potatos. They were sticky and tacky. I added corn starch, and that didn't work. So, I ended up almost freezing them, and that seemed to work. They were awesome with the hamburger filling, and definately something I would make again.

Thank you again for such a great challenge. I hope I have my "kitchen mojo" back for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment