Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April 2011 Daring Baker - Edible Containers (Sweet)

The April 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container. Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 27th to May 27th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!

My optional second title of this post is "Maybe Renae will one day learn to follow directions". But, that's not today!

I did make a great Maple Mousse! Thanks Evelyne for the great challenge! I really liked this mousse - but it is amazingly sweet. I can see why she recommended the bacon cups to serve it in. I wish I had followed my own instincts and added some ginger to the mousse, I think that would have made it taste better. But, live and learn, next time.

And, yes, you did hear me right, the original challenge was Maple Mousse in Bacon Cups. Since I had already decided to make bacon cups for the Daring Cooks challenge, I needed to look for an alternative.

Yes, that was just an excuse - you know me, I'm really not for the meat in dessert phase we are going through right now. Yea, Yea, I know mincemeat and all that. And, I like mincemeat - vegetarian mincemeat!

Anyway, back on topic. Since I saw dried pineapple flowers on Martha Stewart, I have wanted to try them. This gave me the perfect opportunity. Her cups are much prettier than mine. But, I was happy with the results. I must caution you, though. I didn't follow directions. I thought I could dry them out in a mini cupcake cups. Nope, you can't. Follow her directions, and be sure to slice the pineapple paper thin, or yours will turn brown like mine did.


I followed the mousse recipe exactly, and was happy with the results. I do really wish I had tried the vegan version though, since this mousse is not for people that have dairy issues like I do occasionally.

Maple Mousse:

Ingredients:
• 1 cup (240 ml/ 8 fluid oz.) pure maple syrup (not maple-flavoured syrup)
• 4 large egg yolks
• 1 package (7g/1 tbsp.) unflavoured gelatine
• 1 1/2 cups (360 ml. g/12 fluid oz) whipping cream (35% fat content)

Directions:
1. Bring maple syrup to a boil then remove from heat.
2. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and pour a little bit of the maple syrup in while whisking (this is to temper your egg yolks so they don’t curdle).
3. Add warmed egg yolks to hot maple syrup until well mixed.
4. Measure 1/4 cup of whipping cream in a bowl and sprinkle it with the gelatine. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Place the bowl in a microwave for 45 seconds (microwave for 10 seconds at a time and check it in between) or place the bowl in a pan of barely simmering water, stir to ensure the gelatine has completely dissolved.
5. Whisk the gelatine/whipping cream mixture into the maple syrup mixture and set aside.
6. Whisk occasionally for approximately an hour or until the mixture has the consistency of an unbeaten raw egg white.
7. Whip the remaining cream. Stir 1/4 of the whipped cream into the maple syrup mixture. Fold in the remaining cream and refrigerate for at least an hour.
8. Remove from the fridge and divide equally among your edible containers.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great. I must try the pineapple some time. I remember seeing this in her cupcake book. Great work. Best, Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Thats so funny you mentioned the pineapple flowers from Martha Stewart. I just flagged them in her cupcake cookbook and planned to make them. They really do look so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete