Friday, April 15, 2011

Chocolate Malt Cupcakes

I've been on a bit of a cooking binge lately, which means I have been going through my cooking to do list. Oh, don't get me wrong, there are still tons of things on there to try, and to create, but I'm pretty happy with my progress.

I actually purchased the malted milk powder almost 2 months ago, and it has been sitting in the pantry, mocking me ever since. While I'm not shocked that made it unscathed, I am shocked the malted milk balls made it as well.



These have me a little unsure. I really liked them, and thought they tasted just like malted milk balls. I tried to give them to baby brother, and he didn't want, but he did eat all the malt balls off the top. He could be on a diet, or who knows. He's not a very good food critic anyway...

But my middle brother, Matt and Fawn liked them. And I liked them. I was really happy with the frosting. I know that frosting that calls for melted and cooled chocolate can be kind of frustrating to pull off, but it's worth the effort. Just make sure all your other ingredients are at room temperature (like your milk). If not, you will wind up with little pellets of chocolate in your frosting. That's easy to fix by putting the entire thing in the microwave for 10-20 sec and remixing, but it can be frustrating!


I also did want to mention to take care when making these cupcakes. They can get really crisp if overcooked. For a .pdf of the recipe, click here! Enjoy!

Malted cupcakes with deep chocolate frosting
Recipe inspired by a recipe found in the 1950 Betty Crocker Cookbook for Yellow cake

Makes 18-24 cupcakes, depending on size

2 c. flour

3 eggs

2/3 c. vegetable oil

1 ½ c. sugar

3 t. baking powder

1 t. salt

1 c. milk

1 ½ t. vanilla

½ c. malted milk powder

In a small bowl, combine the milk and malted milk powder. Stir and set aside to allow the milk powder to properly hydrate.

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare muffin tins by spraying and flouring, or using liners. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, salt, and vanilla. Whisk until well combined. Add sugar and whisk. Add baking powder, milk, and flour, and whisk until very well combined.

Fill prepared cupcake tins and bake for 15-20 minutes, until just starting to turn light brown. Cool completely and frost with chocolate frosting.

Deep Chocolate Frosting

½ cup butter, softened

10 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled

7 cups powdered sugar

2 t. vanilla

2 T. coffee

2-6 T. milk

In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. Gradually mix in powdered sugar. Add milk, a little at a time, until you get a consistency you like. Frost cupcakes.

1 comment:

  1. I love malted milk!! The icing looks so rich and chocolaty, YUM! The cupcakes look divine :)

    ReplyDelete