Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fruit Salsa/Fruit Nachos

I have been looking forward to Spring for quite a while now. It has been a very long, very wet winter here. It rained almost the entire month of March, and most of April. Luckily, that has not stopped the overflow of fresh fruits and vegetables that are coming into season.


This picture kind of fools you, doesn't it? It looks like a nice salsa, but when you bite into it, it's all fruit. I've been toying with the idea of Strawberry nacho's for quite a while now. I just love strawberries served on flour tortilla's that have been crisped either in a pan or in the oven.


Well, I decided to take this one step further, and make a fruit salsa. The result? Fantastic. I tried it with various "chips", and all were winners. My choice were the flour tortilla's I made, although Cinnamon Sugar Pita chips were a very close second. Fruit salsa served on dried apple chips was an honorable mention, but it is the healthiest option of the three.

While I was making the chips for this dish, I was thinking about all those beautiful fruits, and what I would serve them with if I were just serving a fruit tray. I remember my sister in law giving me a fruit dip recipe, so decided to make that as well, and see how everything went together.

I was not disappointed. The fruit is light, wonderful, and tastes like spring. The fruit dip provides a sweet-tart creamy note, and perfectly compliments the fruit. The chips are just bonus. A great texture and a crispy sweetness that was just perfect with the salsa and dip.

For a .pdf of this recipe, click here. Enjoy!

Fruit Salsa

For the salsa:

1 cup finely diced strawberries

1 cup finely diced pineapple

3 finely diced kiwi fruit

1 finely diced apple

1 mango, finely diced

Juice of ½ orange

Juice of ½ lime

Pinch salt

2 t. fresh mint, finely diced, optional

In a medium bowl, combine all diced fruit and juice. Taste for sweetness, and add sugar if needed. Refrigerate at least one hour. Serve chilled

For the flour tortilla chips:

4 flour tortilla’s

3 T. melted butter

3 T. sugar

¼ t. cinnamon

1/8 t. nutmeg

1/8 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350. With a 2” round cookie cutter, cut out chips from the flour tortillas, or cut into 8 wedges. Combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Place cut pieces on a baking sheet. Brush tops with butter, and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Turn over, and brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Turn each chip, and bake an additional 5-7 minutes until golden. Cool completely before serving.

Sweet Cheese “Dip”

1 7oz jar marshmallow cream

16 oz low fat cream cheese, softened at room temperature

1 T. orange zest

2 t. vanilla bean paste, or 2 t. vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and whip until well incorporated. Serve slightly chilled. Can be stored in the refrigerator up to 1 week.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yummy! What a fabulous idea~and the dip looks excellent, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cool, my sister brought this for Easter and she brought the cinnamon sugar pita chips. Everyone just loved it.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete