Friday, April 22, 2011

Grapefruit Olive Oil Cake

Looking for something for your Easter Breakfast, but don't have time for yummy orange rolls? Give this Grapefruit and Olive Oil cake a try. It's rich, yet light. And, it's the perfect brunch cake.

You may be saying "eww" right about now. I don't blame you. But, don't knock it until you try it. Those of you that don't like grapefruit are really missing something if you don't cook with it. Believe me, when you cook it, add a little sugar, and a little fat, it becomes a taste you just can't resist.

I was a doubter too. Then I made this grapefruit curd. It's sweet, but not overly so, with a very nice citrus flavor. It's not as tart as lemon curd, but has a mild pleasant sweetness.

I took these pictures when the curd was warm, since I wanted to try it when it was both warm and cold. I think I prefer it warm, but I just love it.

I haven't always been a lover of grapefruit. It had to grow on me. While I'm still not a fan of the white grapefruit, I just love the ruby red ones. I may be biased on the grapefruit front, since I just cut it in 8ths and eat it - no salt, no sugar. But, trust me, this curd captures the essence of grapefruit without the sourness.

I got the idea of this cake from watching Michael Chiarello on his old Food Network show. I had notes in my "to cook" binder with a recipe similar to this with his name on it. But, I couldn't find one of his recipes that was close to this, so I don't know where my notes came from.

I hope everyone has a great Easter weekend! I can't wait, really. Family Dinner on Sunday. Football on Saturday. What there is not to like?


For a printable pdf, click here. Have a great weekend!

Grapefruit Olive Oil Cake

Juice of 3 grapefruit

1 T. grapefruit zest

1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup sour cream

4 large eggs
1 ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a large baking dish (mine was 9x13). Combine sour cream, eggs, olive oil, and zest in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in remaining ingredients until no lumps remain.

Pour into pan and bake for 30-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before taking out of pan. Cool completely before serving.

Grapefruit Curd

3 eggs yolks

1 cup sugar

Zest of 1 grapefruit

Zest of 1 orange

Juice of 2 medium size pink grapefruits

Juice of ½ orange

2 T. cornstarch

4 T. butter

In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and juice of ½ orange. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, combine the eggs, sugar, zest, and grapefruit juice. Heat on medium until very hot. While whisking, add in cornstarch and juice mixture. Continue stirring until very thick, 10-15 minutes. Take off heat and add butter, stirring until butter is dissolved. Strain and cool. Serve cold.

4 comments:

  1. It looks great! I love the idea of the grapefruit and olive oil cake with the warm curd. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big grapefruit fan, but I'll have to take your word on it and give it a try because I love olive oil cakes! I'm giving away a bottle of chocolate olive oil right now...check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Happydomesticity - Thank you!

    @baking.serendipity - I hope you give it a try, I think you will like the taste, it's really nice. Yea, I was on your site yesterday drooling over the chocolate olive oil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks really great! So glad to be a new follower, lovely blog! :)
    http://cookskinny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete