Sunday, April 3, 2011

Rhubarb Fig Squares

I've had this combination of flavors in my head a while now. That seems to be a theme with me. Ideas randomly flitting through my head - some stick, some don't.

Anyway, my mom has this cookbook she bought when one of my nephews was in grade school. It's one of those community cookbooks, where all of the recipes were contributed by people in the community. The cookbook is then bound and sold for a fundraiser.


There are several interesting recipes in there - so there are quite a few post it notes in that cook book of things to try. One of the recipes is for Rhubarb Crunch - from the kitchen of Alvin Spalding. Now, I don't know who this is, but the recipe sounded like the perfect thing to change around to try my Rhubarb Fig Bars.

These bars are really tasty. The figs compliment the tart rhubarb perfectly. Since the figs can be a bit sweet, it's really nice to pair them with something as tart as rhubarb. Now, I can't wait until the next rhubarb season so I can make these again.

I did want to discuss a few things about this recipe. I did use frozen rhubarb for this. If you want to use frozen rhubarb, this recipe can handle it, you just need to let the rhubarb thaw completely before baking. If you don't, your rhubarb will not be done.

Also, if you are growing your own rhubarb, be careful with it. The stalks are great to eat, but the leaves are very poisonous. My mom used to have a huge rhubarb patch, but got rid of it so my nephews wouldn't accidentally try to eat it.

For a pdf of the recipe, click here. Enjoy!

Rhubarb Fig Squares

For the base and topping:

1 cup flour

¾ c. quick oats

1 cup brown sugar

½ c. melted butter

1 t. cinnamon

2/3 c. chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together. Pat ½ of the mixture in the bottom of a 9x9 pan.

For the filling:

4 cups rhubarb, diced

1 cup chopped dried figs, soaking in ½ c. hot water for 20 minutes to rehydrate

2 T. cornstarch

½ t. salt

1 t. vanilla

After the figs have been soaking for 20 minutes, drain and reserve the liquid. Whisk the cornstarch, salt, and vanilla into the liquid. Fold in rhubarb and figs, and place on top of the base in your pan.

Sprinkle reserved mixture on top of your rhubarb mixture, and bake 1 hour. Let cool thoroughly before cutting and serving.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE rhubarb and figs! These squares must be absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! We're hosting an online, seasonal ingredient, potluck. The seasonal ingredient for April is rhubarb! If you'd like to share your recipe, feel free to add your link http://betsylife.com/?p=3688

    ReplyDelete