Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spizza!

Yea, that's a totally made up word. A yummy made up word! If, for some reason, you aren't wanting to make little pizza crusts, consider making these little gems. They are great little appetizers, or a main course with a salad if you are particularly hungry.


Yes, they have a few steps, but they are well worth it. You can simply bake the potato slices, but I like the outside of the potato to be just a bit crispy. I first made these for my brother and his fiance. I could tell Fawn really wasn't sold on the idea. But, after I made them...well, lets just say her and I managed to finish them off, we couldn't keep our hands out of them. I don't think my niece ever got one.

I made these on a whim, and I'm glad I did. I never thought I would like pizza without the crust, but on a potato, it's amazing! I'm not going to tell you what the inspiration was, just to stay tuned, I will be posting a similar recipe soon!

Spizza

1 medium russet potato, peeled and sliced in 1/4 to 1/2" slices
1 T. oil
2 T. tomato paste
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/4 t. garlic
1/4 t. dried oregano
10 slices pepperoni, diced
1/4 to 1/2 c. mozarella cheese, shredded
2 T. parmesan cheese, shredded

Mix salt, pepper, and garlic. Lightly sprinkle potato slices with mixture. Reserve remaining.

In a skillet, heat oil, and fry potato slices until lightly browned and cooked through. Preheat oven to 350. When potatoes are golden, remove from pan and drain.

While potatoes are cooling, mix tomato paste and remaining seasoning. Lightly spread tomato paste mixture on side of potatoes. Sprinkle with mozarella cheese, diced pepperoni, and parmesan cheese. Arrange potato slices on a baking sheet that has been lightly oiled or sprayed with cooking spray.

Bake at 350 until golden and bubbly.

3 comments:

  1. YUM! What a great idea for a delicious, cheesy treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spizza! A word that just entered my vocabulary *and* my cooking repetoire, lol. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, these sound awesome! Could I use bacon as well? MUST try this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete