Monday, May 16, 2011

Chocolate Bundt Cake with Pecan Caramel Filling


I'm a bad friend. This post is partly about that... My wonderful friend Eileen sent me a bundt cake pan last November. I used it within 2 weeks, but didn't like the pictures, or how the recipe came out, so I didn't post it. Yes, I did thank her for the cake pan - I love it, but I didn't post a recipe. Now, although this recipe probably makes up for it, I know she doesn't really eat chocolate. But, then again, she's in California, so wouldn't be getting a slice anyway.

I'm also a sneaky sister in law...when I made German Chocolate Cupcakes for my brother for his birthday, Fawn took the leftover cupcakes but refused to take the leftover Coconut Pecan Frosting. I stuck it in the freezer for a few weeks, and pondered what to do with it.

And, that's how this cake was born. While I was patting myself on the back for a creative use of leftovers, I had completely forgot that Fawn didn't want the leftovers until after I was driving to her house to deliver it. Oh well, Matt still loved it.

This is a great little cake recipe. It's moist, it's dense, and it's really chocolatey. And, that sweet filling compliments it perfectly. As you can see, I didn't frost it - it doesn't need it. But, if you can't resist, you could drizzle some melted chocolate over the cake before serving.

I modified this recipe from Allrecipes. The first time I made it, I was happy with the cake, but disappointed the coconut filling didn't sink to the middle like it was supposed to. I used insurance this time, and placed the filling in the middle to start off.

It's a good little cake, but that pic is crying for a cup of coffee or a nice cold glass of milk..or in my case, soy milk.



For a .pdf of the recipe, click here.

Chocolate Bundt cake with Pecan Caramel Filling
Inspired by http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/chocolate-macaroon-bundt-cake/Detail.aspx
And a few leftovers…

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
2 t. vanilla extract
½ c. oil
2/3 c. milk
3 eggs

For the filling:

¼ cup plus 2 T. cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1/4 c. butter
1 t. vanilla
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1/2 cup coconut

In a saucepan, combine cream, sugar, brown sugar, egg yolks, and butter. Cook on low heat, stirring
constantly until very thick. Remove from heat, add coconut, vanilla, and pecans. Let cool

For the cake:

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a 10 cup bundt pan. Dust pan with 2 T. cocoa powder.

In a large bowl, combine sugars, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Add vanilla, oil, milk, and eggs. Mix very well. Add flour and stir until combined. Place ½ the batter in the bundt pan.

Make a little tunnel in the middle and place the filling inside. Spoon the rest of the batter over the filling and cake, being careful that no filling touches the side of the pan.

Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack 15-20 minutes, then invert onto a dish and continue cooling. Serve with chocolate sauce or whipped cream. Or a glass of milk.

7 comments:

  1. Haha! You deserve another pat on the back for managing to sneak the leftover (disguised) back to them. Sounds sinfully moist and delicious! Won't attempt this until after this month ... need to fit into an evening dress for a wedding party! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it so hard to find a recipe for a bundt cake with a tunnel of goodness in the middle? I made this one for Valentine's Day and it turned out really moist and delicious. I paired it with plain whipped cream, which was a perfect way to cut the sweetness. My "goodness" ended up sinking a little further into the cake than I expected (causing it to stick to the bottom of the pan a little) but other than that is was terrific. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete