Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Honeyed Fig Cheesecake




Just look at that little gem. And, to top it off, it's so tasty!

I have been thinking about this - yea, I know. Another thing on my to do list! At least the list is getting shorter. Well, it's not getting shorter, there are just more diverse things on the list.

I originally thought about this combination last year. I was missing my fig tree and bought some figs at Trader Joe's. When I got home, I realized I didn't have any brie - I love figs and brie on crackers. So I substituted cream cheese.

It wasn't as stellar a combination as the brie, but it still was amazing. That immediately made me think of figs in cheesecake.

I decided to use a fig jam and honey to sweeten the cheesecake. It turned out really nice! I'm sure you can imagine a nice honey fig cheesecake topped with shaved dark chocolate - the ultimate dessert for a fig lover.



I have a little tip for those of you out there that want to try the chocolate shavings - I froze a dark chocolate candy bar, then took my microplane grater to it. That worked really well. Of course, you can use semi-sweet or milk chocolate, but I really like the taste of figs with dark chocolate - the figs tend to be very sweet, so the dark chocolate pairs well with it.

This cheesecake also goes well with fresh raspberries! For a printable version of the recipe, click here. Enjoy!

Honeyed Fig Cheesecake

Makes one 7” cheesecake

For the crust:

1 ½ cup graham cracker crumbs

5 ½ T. melted butter

2 T. brown sugar

Combine all ingredients and press into your 7” springform pan, gently pressing up the sides.

For the cheesecake:

24 oz cream cheese

3 eggs

1 8-10 oz. prepared fig jam

½ c. honey

2/3 t. salt

1 t. vanilla

½ c. dried figs, finely chopped

3 T. cornstarch

Preheat oven to 350. Beat cream cheese for about 1 minute, until a little lighter. Add jam and honey, and mix for 2 minutes, until well mixed. Add eggs, salt, vanilla, dried figs, and cornstarch, and beat for 2-3 minutes until the cheesecake mix is a consistent batter.

Pour on top of prepared crust and bake for 50-55 minutes, until center is just starting to set. Remove from oven and let sit about 1 hour. Refrigerate to store, but let your cheesecake warm a bit to room temperature to serve.

1 comment:

  1. Renae! This cake is beautiful!!! I just love figs and honey. I am so envious that you have a fig tree. I would love to do more desserts showcasing figs. (I think they get a bad rap just being associated with Newtons!) I can just taste this now. Thanks for sharing it! : )

    ReplyDelete