Saturday, May 28, 2011

May 2011 Daring Baker Challenge - Marquise on Meringue

Or, in my case Meringue-less Marquise!

The May 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Emma of CookCraftGrow and Jenny of Purple House Dirt. They chose to challenge everyone to make a Chocolate Marquise. The inspiration for this recipe comes from a dessert they prepared at a restaurant in Seattle.

I'm going to have to visit that restaurant in Seattle, because their pictures looked fantastic! But, here I am, a day late - and I hate to be late! - and no meringue. Honestly, I just wasn't feeling the meringue. Thank you again Emma and Jenny for the great challenge!

This recipe intimidated me. It seemed to make a life time supply of things, and things like tequila caramel didn't sound very tasty to me. Keep in mind, tequila and I have a checkered past, so it never sounds good to me. It's all my fault...I had to learn the hard way that tequila shots with diet coke to wash it down tastes like finger nail polish remover!


I wasn't really feeling the eggs in this recipe, so I sort of made the vegan version. I say sort of, because I ended up unveganizing it. I used Dove Dark Chocolate bars instead of the vegan chips, and then I whipped in some whipped cream to make it fluffier. I really loved the flavor, though!

My marquis is floating in a pool of butterscotch sauce - I simply substituted scotch for the tequila in the sauce recipe, and subbed brown sugar for white. The sauce is yummy. I'm saving it for some ice cream sundae cravings later.

And, finally, I made Cinnamon-Ginger roast pecans, rather than the almonds. I added 1 t. ginger to the original recipe, and left out the cayenne -we all know how much of a cayenne whimp I am.

Did I love this challenge? Well, sort of. It's been difficult for me to get into a summer dessert fling. I'm trying to diet - and it just doesn't look like summer yet here. We are still getting more than our share of rain - as I write this, it is literally raining sheets...

For the recipe, follow the link. They did an amazing job explaining everything you need to do!

4 comments:

  1. That's funny about tequila...I remember thinking my first shot of it tasted like Raid! Great job on the challenge! I definitely approve of the amount of caramel on your plate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm..I like your idea of a hybrid recipe! Mine didn't turn out super fluffy (the vegan version). Did you just add cream till it seemed the right consistency?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jessica - I couldn't keep my fingers out of that caramel, so I just made a little lake of it on the plate!

    @Karla, After blending the tofu with the cooled chocolate, I chilled it a little bit, and it tasted a bit heavy to me, so I added about 1/3 cup cream and whipped it using my mixer until it was lighter. It probably would have fluffed up better if I had whipped the cream and folded it in, but sometimes I'm a bit backwards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol I hear you! I also wasn't feeling the meringue and me and tequila? Bad news!

    ReplyDelete