Monday, May 2, 2011

Paniolo Cornbread

I've finally found a cornbread recipe I love love love! It almost be as good as what I called my corn dumplings - which is more like a corn souffle without all the eggs. But that isn't really cornbread.

Anyway, I digress. I should have known I could find a good recipe somewhere in my Polynesian cookbooks. Yes, I have a fascination with all things Polynesia. I took hula classes for 4 years, stubbornly ignoring the facts that not only was I the OLDEST one in the class, I was also the only one that could not tell my left from my right. That is the first (and last) dance class I have ever taken. But I loved it.
While I was cleaning the other day, I found my old copy of Sam Choy's Polynesian Kitchen...love love. I used to have an extensive cookbook collection. But, over the past few years, I have gotten rid of many but a few I considered essential, and others I couldn't part with. This one, I couldn't part with. I'm glad I didn't.

This cornbread is very sweet - even for a cornbread. But, it's incredibly moist, and that texture thing that usually bothers me, doesn't bother me with this one. I think it's because of the crushed pineapple in the batter.

I did change the recipe a bit, though. I reduced the sugar from 2/3 cup to 1/2 cup - and used brown sugar instead of white. I also added a bit of ginger, and used the pineapple juice the crushed pineapple comes in, rather than just the pineapple.


If you want a pdf of this recipe, please click here. Enjoy!

Paniolo Cornbread

Recipe from Sam Choy’s Polynesian Kitchen

(Slightly adapted by me)

½ cup cornmeal

1 ½ cups flour

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 T. baking powder

½ t. salt

1 t. powdered ginger

½ cup butter, melted

1 ¼ c. coconut milk

2 eggs

1 cup crushed pineapple

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 inch pan. In a large mixing bowl, mix together coconut milk and eggs until blended together. Add butter and pineapple, and mix for a minute until well mixed. Add dry ingredients all at once, and mix until batter is wet. It’s important you don’t overmix, but the batter must come together.

Put batter in prepared pan, and bake 35-40 minutes, until golden around the edges, and lightly golden in the center. The bread may crack on top. That’s ok. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.

While Mr. Choy suggests serving with honey and butter, I found it rich and decadent enough to eat on its own. This goes well with spicy foods.

3 comments:

  1. ooh, this sounds good! I love the pineapple and cornmeal addition, not to mention the coconut milk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cornbread and coconut milk - never thought of this before. I cook with polenta often and this definitely goes on my list, thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can top it off by adding creamed corn to the mix and substitute the sugar with raw honey. Its devine :)

    ReplyDelete