Monday, May 9, 2011

Root Beer Float Cheesecake

Yea, that's right. You heard me. This is yet another one of my brainstorms. I have been on quite a roll lately. Only a few complete failures...well, lets not call them failures. They just didn't give me the results I had hoped for.

This one is not one of those. Actually, from the picture, you could almost think it was chocolate. But, it's not...it's root beer. Now, don't turn up your nose. If you like root beer floats, you will love this cheesecake. It's got the root beer flavor. It's got the dairy, it's got the creaminess.


It's quite delicious. The crust had me a bit stumped, to be honest here. I think I made a good choice by sticking with vanilla. We all know that you serve root beer floats with vanilla ice cream, so it is a good combination. Also, I chose to go with a slightly baked sour cream topping on my cheesecake. It provided just enough tang to compliment that delicious root beer filling.

I used root beer concentrate in this recipe. You can find it by the extracts in most grocery stores. Even the grocery store in my tiny town has it, so I'm sure you won't have any problem finding it.

If you like root beer, this is the cheesecake for you! For a printable recipe, click here.

Root Beer Float Cheesecake

For the crust:

1 ½ cups vanilla wafer crumbs

5 T. melted butter

Mix crumbs and butter together until mixture resembles wet sand. Press into 7-8” cheesecake pan, pressing up the sides evenly. Let rest while you make the cheesecake filling.

For the sour cream topping:

1 cup sour cream

¼ c. sugar

1 t. vanilla extract

Mix until combined.

For the filling:

24 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature

3 eggs

1 1/3 cup sugar

2 T. root beer concentrate (you can find this in the extract section of most supermarkets)

2 T. cornstarch

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese until a bit softened for about 1 minute with an electric mixer. Add sugar and mix until well combined. Add eggs, root beer concentrate, and corn starch, mixing until well combined.

Pour over crust and bake for 45-55 minutes, until center has lost most of its jiggle. Take out of oven and top with sour cream topping. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes, until sour cream topping is lightly browned.

Cool for 1-2 hours on a baking rack, and then overnight in the refrigerator. Serve slightly chilled.

3 comments:

  1. This is a lovely recipe. I'm going to attempt it tonight as individual cheese cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am obsessed with this recipe! So neat!

    ReplyDelete