Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Breakfast Sliders



I hesitated over posting this recipe. No, it's not the reason for my unexplained absence from the blogging world. That we will attribute to a 10 day business trip...and my current obsession with GemCraft Labyrinth...seriously, level 104 and I can't beat one board to continue on..grrrrr! I just didn't feel much like writing. Yes, I was still cooking, just not writing about it.

I'm not going to write about my trip now - I'm saving that for a few things I want to cook that were inspired by my trip.


These little gems have made me want to write about them. I just finished off the first batch of these, and let me tell you, they are really tasty. These were sort of inspired by my trip. I remember sitting in a restaurant, reading the menu, and all the different types of sliders they had and thinking - why not breakfast sliders? An idea was born.

They have a little bit of everything - some Ham or Canadian Bacon, maple glazed bacon, sausage, eggs, even cheese - all enclosed on the slightly sweet goodness of a Hawaiian Roll. Now, I love King's Hawaiian Rolls...and this recipe was just perfect for the slightly sweet taste. There was enough meat and savory things on the roll to balance the sweetness perfectly.

If you like spicy, you can make it with hot breakfast sausage. I didn't, because I don't like that much spice. One of the great things about this recipe is almost everything can be prepared in advance, then heated and assembled in the morning. So, if you want to serve them for breakfast and you aren't a morning person, this is the recipe for you.


For a printable version of the recipe, click here.

Breakfast “Sliders”

Makes 8, serves 4-6, depending on appetites

5 slices thick sliced bacon

½ T. maple syrup

¼ lb. breakfast sausage

4 slices Canadian bacon, or thinly sliced ham, cut into 4 pieces

8 Hawaiian sweet rolls (I love King’s Hawaiian)

3 eggs

1 T. cream

¼ t. salt

¼ t. pepper

8 slices cheese, I used American slices (cut into 4 pieces each)

Butter

Preheat oven to 350.

For the Bacon: Line a cookie sheet with parchment or foil. Place bacon on prepared cookie sheet and brush with maple syrup. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked and crispy. Let cool slightly and cut into 3 pieces each.

For the eggs: Combine eggs, cream, salt, and pepper and mix until well mixed. Lightly spray muffin cups and divide the egg mixture among 8 muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven for 10-13 minutes, until just done.

For the sausage: Divide sausage into 8 portions, shape into patties roughly the size of each roll, and saute over medium heat. Let cool slightly.

Assembly:

Split each roll in ½, and place in preheated oven for 5-7 minutes until golden. Brush with butter. While the rolls are toasting, heat the ham just until warm.

Put one piece of bacon and cheese on the bottom, followed by Canadian bacon, sausage, egg, Canadian Bacon, and another piece of your maple bacon.

Serve Warm.


2 comments:

  1. Sliders are so fun! Love the idea of enjoying them at breakfast. Shared this recipe on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make chicken sliders with a chicken breast fried in olive oil and I grill in a pan some rings of pineapple and I put moz cheese on King Hawaiian rolls and wrap them each and freeze them. I also make my meatball recipe and make flat bigger patties and also put it on the King Hawaiian rolls and freeze them for lunches or if you don't want to cook. Love your breakfast idea, I am going to try and freeze them.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete