Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chocolate and Peanut Butter No Bake cookies



This is one of those remembered tastes from childhood. I even remember trying to make these the first time, and them coming out grainy and icky. I can remember the smells of these cookies cooking, and my mom telling me to watch out - the mixture was hot. I can still picture her using two spoons to drop them on waxed paper. I remember my brother licking the bottoms of the remaining cookies to "save them for later".

I even remember the one time my Mom put raisins in these. I think I would like them now, but back then, I wasn't a raisin fan. I remember thinking that was quite a dirty trick - putting raisins in cookies (eww). Now, I put raisins in a lot of things, and like them.

These, well, they were perfect. I loved them. Everyone that had one loved them. And, I'd like to think, they had their own memories of these during their childhood as well.

When Mom used to make these cookies, they always contained a bunch of walnuts, so I did the same. She also added peanut butter - I've had them so much this way, they seem to be missing something without peanut butter.


For a .pdf, click here.

Peanut Butter Chocolate No Bake Cookies

½ c. butter

2 c. sugar

½ c. milk

3 Tablespoons cocoa

Bring to a boil over medium to medium high heat, stirring constantly. It’s really best to use a larger pan, so you can just mix the cookies in the pan. Cook until 235-240 degrees fahrenheight (aka soft ball stage). Remove from heat and add:

½ c. peanut butter

1 t. vanilla

3 c. oatmeal

2/3 c. chopped walnuts

Combine ingredients quickly, and drop by teaspoons (or tablespoon) onto waxed paper. Cool completely before eating.

1 comment:

  1. Renae....A no bake cookie is perfect for this weather! And anything peanut and chocolate is great in my book! Loved your childhood memories about these. (Especially your brother licking the cookies...too funny)! : )

    ReplyDelete